Growing Chrysanthemum Bonsai

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I believe the 2 different names, actually 3 different names, including Chrysanthemum nipponicum, Nipponanthemum nipponicum, and Chrysanthemum yezoense all refer to exactly one species, the same species. 3 names, all referring to the same type specimen.

Nippon is an English transduction of the Japanese for "Japan". Hokkaido is the province in Japan that this mum comes from. And Yezoensis means from Yezo, which I believe is an older name for the area that today is the Province of Hokkaido. So all 3 names have elements that point to the same general area. "There is only one", and off in the bar, the taxonomists are duking it out over who's name has priority. But since they are all botany geeks, there isn't a single bloody nose, yet.

I do know a tale of someone who was so eager to get a new plant named after him, that he forgot to check the rules. Got himself arrested, fined thousands of dollars, and the taxonomist involved lost his job and the botanical garden he worked for lost millions, well at least hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants over the whole thing. So naming of plants, especially plants with pretty flowers (the plant involved was an orchid) is not a totally dry, totally boring task. Though it is a pretty nerdy thing to get into.
@Leo in N E Illinois thanks for clearing that up. So now I basically need to search all three names for the same plant, lol.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A few of my gnomes work in process, first time for me too this so it’s just playing around a bit. in the end the only thing it will need to look pretty is some flowers :)

View attachment 309639View attachment 309640View attachment 309641View attachment 309642View attachment 309643
Those are looking good! What are the cultivar names? How long has it taking you to grow them to this point? Mine have kind of slowed down growing.

I just finished potting up some cuttings I made. Hopefully those take off so I can take more cuttings from those.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Those are looking good! What are the cultivar names? How long has it taking you to grow them to this point? Mine have kind of slowed down growing.

I just finished potting up some cuttings I made. Hopefully those take off so I can take more cuttings from those.
I got them around mid April. Some grow stronger then the others, problem now is that they don’t get enough sunlight at the balcony.

I have grown some other chrysanthemums before and for some reason the yellow type flowers seems always stronger then other color. This time too, the yellow ones seem a bit stronger then the rest.

The Cultivars I have are, mikado, iwazakura, shudo, shizennoyutaka and utagoe

Super easy to make cuttings though, whatever you prune you can stick in the soil and 95% will be ok

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mission complete!

Picked up three plants to start with........the propagation shall now commence.

View attachment 310087View attachment 310088
I know Mr. Valavanis mentioned if I make cuttings, once rooted well. They can be planted in the ground...and it will bark up nicely quicker. These ones you have look extremely healthy! Congrats!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know Mr. Valavanis mentioned if I make cuttings, once rooted well. They can be planted in the ground...and it will bark up nicely quicker. These ones you have look extremely healthy! Congrats!

Not sure how well these are rooted. I do plan to take every growing tip as a cutting and then put these three in the ground.

The leaves are not the typical lobed type like garden chrysanthemums so I see why they what to keep changing the species name.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure how well these are rooted. I do plan to take every growing tip as a cutting and then put these three in the ground.

The leaves are not the typical lobed type like garden chrysanthemums so I see why they what to keep changing the species name.
Fare enough...as to the name changes. I'm not really familiar with chrysanthemums so it didn't stand out to me until I noticed your propagation of them earlier in the post.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cuttings are done.....bagged and labeled. I was able to get 14 in total. So now's the wait for them to strike. I've had other chrysanthemums strike within 5 days. First time doing these so not really sure how long it will take.

20200619_160229.jpg20200619_191215.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Peat/vermiculite/sand at the following ratio 6:4:4

It's cheap to make, holds moisture, and drains very well.
I've not done cuttings before to be honest...but, to eventually grow one in the ground...to bark up would be interesting. Roots need to be established...we see cold winters here. Thanks! July will be when I cut mine back.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cadillactaste The three donors that I bought have their trunks starting to tan and harden up already.....so I'm curious to know how old are they. How is the trunk on yours looking?

I did my cuttings now so that they would have enough roots to support them through winter. The three donors will probably be put in the ground this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste The three donors that I bought have their trunks starting to tan and harden up already.....so I'm curious to know how old are they. How is the trunk on yours looking?

I did my cuttings now so that they would have enough roots to support them through winter. The three donors will probably be put in the ground this weekend if it doesn't rain.
I am not sure how old it is...it has what looks to be lignified look to it to a degree on a few older branches. The new growth of course is tender green. It was grown as a cutting I do know that. I'm not ready to share a photo yet here. (Sorry) Maybe one day I will create a thread on it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I have never propagated...So that said...I gave all my small pots away last year for never using them. I ended up ordering this...for the tray keeps them nice and tidy. I intend to do four only...and hope out of those four...one will be worthy of bonsai one day. Going with my title...I want to create neagari. So will do four eventually in that training method. I do not intend to sell...that isn't something I wish to get into. If anything...I gift things. I've given a couple bonsai away...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tracking for the pots say they arrive Thursday...I am excited, and nervous...I've not done this rodeo before. I'm only doing four...yet, I'm super excited!!!
How big is your Nippon daisy? You can send me a PM if you don't want to post publicly.

Mine are starting to burst with buds all over. The cuttings still have not rooted but are beginning to callous over now. Probably another couple of weeks before they root.

thumbnail_20200630_123536.jpgthumbnail_20200630_123610.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lookie there! You have back budding like CRAZY! A nice start too...I see it barking up as well. Nice potential...can't wait to see where you take this...and the others. Will your propagation be for prebonsai? Assuming so...Looking forward to following your journey @Pitoon ! Keep us updated...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lookie there! You have back budding like CRAZY! A nice start too...I see it barking up as well. Nice potential...can't wait to see where you take this...and the others. Will your propagation be for prebonsai? Assuming so...Looking forward to following your journey @Pitoon ! Keep us updated...
This one has some good growth coming up.

thumbnail_20200630_150942.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mission successful, they all have rooted........not bad for less than 10 days total. I'll give them another week or two before the bag is removed.

thumbnail_20200630_201356.jpg

Top Bottom