Growing Ezo Spruce from Seed

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not surprisingly, the seeds are hard to germinate. I've had very low germination so far. But, the seedlings that did germinate are healthy [and small!].

~2inch pot
0615161032b-1.jpg

Attachments

• 0615161032-1.jpg
    0615161032-1.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 10

hemi71cuda

Sapling
Reaction score
I struck 27 cuttings from my ezo when I pruned it in September 2014. 8 are still alive; they didn't grow all year, but the foliage is still green. It will be interesting to see what they do in the spring.

Hey Brian, I know this is old but I’d love to hear as much info as you’re willing to share about how/when you took cuttings, how they were treated, what you planted in, what conditions you gave them, etc. I have a friend with a big ezo, he has taken cuttings(not sure on success) and I know he’d let me try some as well. I’m only 35 and I’d love to propagate and grow as many as I can to keep the species alive for American bonsai. Just wondering on timing, planting medium and technique.

What is the status of your 8 survivors?
Thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Brian, I know this is old but I’d love to hear as much info as you’re willing to share about how/when you took cuttings, how they were treated, what you planted in, what conditions you gave them, etc. I have a friend with a big ezo, he has taken cuttings(not sure on success) and I know he’d let me try some as well. I’m only 35 and I’d love to propagate and grow as many as I can to keep the species alive for American bonsai. Just wondering on timing, planting medium and technique.

What is the status of your 8 survivors?
Thanks
For whatever reason, I’ve just kept the updates of these cuttings on the original thread:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ezo-spruce.9823/page-5#post-351425
4 are still alive. I put 3 into a clump-style, and one on its own this spring.

Top Bottom