Growing from seed.

HollyB

Seed
Reaction score
I have 3 purple flowering bauhinias growing from seed. Do bauhinias do well as bonsai (I live in subtropical Australia). They are about 3 inches high at the moment. It's just coming into autumn here. Best to leave them alone through winter and treat them like normal seedling trees until they grow some muscle? Thanks.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whenever I am curious if a tree is good for bonsai I Google "[tree] bonsai" to see if it's been done before.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a bauhinia grandidieri, but not a seedling. It did great during the summer, not happy inside, but starting to grow now. But my climate is vastly different than yours. I would imagine they would thrive in a sub-tropical environment, vs mine. dwarf orchid.jpg

HollyB

Seed
Reaction score
Whenever I am curious if a tree is good for bonsai I Google "[tree] bonsai" to see if it's been done before.
Thank you! Just did that for camphor laurel (a local introduced pest tree) and found heaps! Dug up a seedling tree this arvo and potted it. Even if it doesn't survive there is one less invasive tree.

HollyB

Seed
Reaction score
I have a bauhinia grandidieri, but not a seedling. It did great during the summer, not happy inside, but starting to grow now. But my climate is vastly different than yours. I would imagine they would thrive in a sub-tropical environment, vs mine. View attachment 289431
Thank you. I'll give them a go. Think I'll just leave them where they are for the moment. Will have to read up Bonsai for Dummies (is there such a book?) to find when is the best time to do things. Appreciate the photo. Cheers.

Top Bottom