Growing JBP whip for tanuki

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Silly question, but if I have a little JBP seedling and want to grow it to use for a phoenix graft, is there anything special to get it super tall and skinny? Probably tether it to a bamboo stake and pinch all side growth?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've never seen JBP used for Phoenix graft. Usually JBP doesn't show more deadwood than live. Go for it if you want, but I don't know how well it will attach itself. To grow it tall, just let it grow, but do leave low branches and buds for use later.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take the time and energy to do that but make a root over rock instead. Same amount of time, 100% more respect in the bonsai community. Masters at workshops don't even want yo work on them.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Take the time and energy to do that but make a root over rock instead. Same amount of time, 100% more respect in the bonsai community. Masters at workshops don't even want yo work on them.

Interesting. I wasn't thinking of respect, was just thinking it looked fun. I was just looking at some of Andy Smith's juniper and ponderosa stumps and thinking that JBP might work well on a ponderosa. Plus I have plenty of other pine seedlings to do a couple of RORs.

Thanks for the input

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've never seen JBP used for Phoenix graft. Usually JBP doesn't show more deadwood than live. Go for it if you want, but I don't know how well it will attach itself. To grow it tall, just let it grow, but do leave low branches and buds for use later.

If not JBP what would you recommend? Strictly juniper?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I wasn't thinking of respect, was just thinking it looked fun. I was just looking at some of Andy Smith's juniper and ponderosa stumps and thinking that JBP might work well on a ponderosa. Plus I have plenty of other pine seedlings to do a couple of RORs.

Thanks for the input

I do have a Phoenix graft iny collection, do I'm not totally against them. But every bonsai master that was forced to work on one in a workshop where I was, seemed to have contempt or bias against them. That's why I think if your going to go through a long process for a special project do the rock thing. This is all my opinion, actual facts were mostly unused in the creation of thus post. Bonsai responsibly!!!

Top Bottom