Growing Kyoto Moss... A Curious Approach

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like TMjudd hasn’t been ‘round lately...

My son grew some of this Kyoto Moss.... He/we collected and “farmed” a great deal last season of local mosses.. there are always MANY if you actually look...

He said that the Kyoto moss was one of his least favorite.. he just enjoyed growing from “spore”.. once he learned that he could collect ANY moss spores... the Kyoto Moss fell by the wayside, as there are several VERY similar mosses.. that THRIVE in our climate..

But obviously try it out, see if you like it..

And also set aside “moss hunting” days for spring.

🤓

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like TMjudd hasn’t been ‘round lately...

My son grew some of this Kyoto Moss.... He/we collected and “farmed” a great deal last season of local mosses.. there are always MANY if you actually look...

He said that the Kyoto moss was one of his least favorite.. he just enjoyed growing from “spore”.. once he learned that he could collect ANY moss spores... the Kyoto Moss fell by the wayside, as there are several VERY similar mosses.. that THRIVE in our climate..

But obviously try it out, see if you like it..

And also set aside “moss hunting” days for spring.

🤓
Thanks . I honestly just got it because it just sounds cool.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
E8B86D87-5467-4894-8E0A-B087C19EAD74.jpeg
Is this how you do it ? I put rocks then pine bark then wet Pete moss

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My son did all of his moss-growing in sealed clear-plastic containers under lights.

He really likes Tanner from
“SerpaDesign” on Youtube..

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I found a small peace of moss in the bag that I had planted and put it in. It looks like everything is growing good but it’s not growing like it does online when it covers then go up . Mine are just going up if that makes any sense

Attachments

• 023C1A08-8802-4615-A7CD-2079214CCDF0.jpeg
    023C1A08-8802-4615-A7CD-2079214CCDF0.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 525B51F3-4482-422C-9549-CD6AD4EC60B2.jpeg
    525B51F3-4482-422C-9549-CD6AD4EC60B2.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 116

TwistedX

Seed
Reaction score
Ive been able to grow kyoto moss spires fairly easy. I live in colorado where pincussion moss grows naturally in the mountains. It has a really thick root system and when desiccated is a perfect sponge for the spores to lay on. By letting the top of the collected moss soak in water for a few days you can kill the moss back enough so it doesn't overpower the spores. After that I sprinkle the spores evenly over the top of the moss and keep it constantly moist, sometimes even wet. But the old moss will absorb that excess water and retain it for a long time keeping it subdued so the kyoto moss can grab a foothold.. Spores start becoming visible for me after about a week. Hope this helps a bit, I've had a lot of success with this method. The hardest part is just ensuring that it stays consistently moist, and because it appreciates that much moisture consistently, kyoto moss is definitely not the best choice as groundcover for most potted plants.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Ive been able to grow kyoto moss spires fairly easy. I live in colorado where pincussion moss grows naturally in the mountains. It has a really thick root system and when desiccated is a perfect sponge for the spores to lay on. By letting the top of the collected moss soak in water for a few days you can kill the moss back enough so it doesn't overpower the spores. After that I sprinkle the spores evenly over the top of the moss and keep it constantly moist, sometimes even wet. But the old moss will absorb that excess water and retain it for a long time keeping it subdued so the kyoto moss can grab a foothold.. Spores start becoming visible for me after about a week. Hope this helps a bit, I've had a lot of success with this method. The hardest part is just ensuring that it stays consistently moist, and because it appreciates that much moisture consistently, kyoto moss is definitely not the best choice as groundcover for most potted plants.
May I see your Kyoto moss ?

indoorbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kyoto moss is mostly an "add on" money maker for bonsai salesmen. There's is NOTHING special about it. It is a form of low-tightly growing bryum moss species. Bryum is found EVERYWHERE, including in cracks in the sidewalk in Dallas.

What you're doing is mostly a waste of time if you're actualy going to use it for bonsai.

Moss is not green and fuzzy all the time. It ebbs and flows with temperature and moisture, browning and going dormant in summer. You can get "Kyoto" moss started in a greenhouse after you pay through the nose for a packet of spores, but the minute you put it out in the weather, it will do what it will do-mostly get crispy and grow when it wants to. you can't control it very well outside of a climate controlled environment.

Best moss to use for bonsai is what grows LOCALLY. Collecting moss is a much MUCH better (and free) way to get moss that will actually live in your climate. not hard to do --look in areas that stay moist and a little shaded. Look in spring and summer.

Also FWIW, moss is typically NOT used all the time on bonsai. Professionals use it only for exhibitions. It's an unnecessary hassle for bonsai.
Okay I get your point that the green carpet look of moss on your bonsai is purely for aesthetics.
But what about adding chopped up dried sphagnum moss horticultural grade on top of the bonsai soiil, it really works in helping keeping the moisture level even throughout the pot and slows down evaporation rate. Fine feeder roots are also able to grow in the moist top 1/3 of the pot. maximizing root growth throughout the whole container.
Do you also think that the addition of chopped dried sphagnum moss is also useless ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay I get your point that the green carpet look of moss on your bonsai is purely for aesthetics.
But what about adding chopped up dried sphagnum moss horticultural grade on top of the bonsai soiil, it really works in helping keeping the moisture level even throughout the pot and slows down evaporation rate. Fine feeder roots are also able to grow in the moist top 1/3 of the pot. maximizing root growth throughout the whole container.
Do you also think that the addition of chopped dried sphagnum moss is also useless ?
No. It's not the same moss, or the same goal...

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was look at this tree yesterday, and I was blown away at how beautiful the moss is, as well as the tree. How do suppose that is achievable, the color and texture is so consistent

Attachments

• IMG_7912.jpeg
    IMG_7912.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7913.jpeg
    IMG_7913.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 82

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was look at this tree yesterday, and I was blown away at how beautiful the moss is, as well as the tree. How do suppose that is achievable, the color and texture is so consistent
A Chinese elm for $1,750?! Yikes!

You can grow moss on any bonsai tree if the conditions are right. It is easiest if you:
(1) Start with the right moss spores
(2) Use soft, acidic water (rain water is great)
(3) Use organic fertilizer

You can find beautiful moss growing in the strangest places. I used to "harvest" my favorite moss from cracks in a sidewalk outside a car wash in Southern California. You want moss that grows in full sun (since your bonsai tree will be in full sun). Collect it, let it dry, grind it up into a powder, sprinkle it on your soil, and voila!

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Bonsai Nut that is a ni
A Chinese elm for $1,750?! Yikes!

You can grow moss on any bonsai tree if the conditions are right. It is easiest if you:
(1) Start with the right moss spores
(2) Use soft, acidic water (rain water is great)
(3) Use organic fertilizer

You can find beautiful moss growing in the strangest places. I used to "harvest" my favorite moss from cracks in a sidewalk outside a car wash in Southern California. You want moss that grows in full sun (since your bonsai tree will be in full sun). Collect it, let it dry, grind it up into a powder, sprinkle it on your soil, and voila!
that is a Zelkova, a Japanese elm.
As far as the moss goes, I read that before, about crushing up the spores, but wow, I never imagined you could get moss to look that perfect

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant the tree in a pot that's too shallow and mound soil on the roots, keep them too wet and wait 😁 ...all that moss says to me is the tree isn't planted in the pot very well and possibly has drainage issues...

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@rockm , yes I agree, but I was told that, that type of pot is for shows only.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I scrape heaps of byrum moss from all over the place here... sidewalks, driveways, you name it. In fact, I just collected two paper plates full from the parking lot at work last week! Take it home, clean it, pluck all the nasties off. Looks super green and fluffy just like this "kyoto" stuff, and all it costs me is a little time and effort to get it stored. I keep it in clear plastic containers in the greenhouse and mist once a week or so. Easy. There are other mosses I get also, and for those I just take a short drive to the woods and peel it off rocks and downed trees. Unless you live in a desert, there's no real need to buy moss. Just go find it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm , yes I agree, but I was told that, that type of pot is for shows only.
That tree isn't showable. I have a feeling that pot is its home. Not a big deal, elms can take shallow containers. The moss, however is becoming a problem for the tree in the pot. It should have been removed or reduced substantially a while ago. It can start to shed water from above, channeling it away from the roots. It can also hide rotten roots that need to be addressed.

Moss is not used by more experienced bonsaists for the most part, until it is temporarily put down a couple of months before a show. It is removed after the show is done. It certainly isn't allowed to mound up like this. If this tree were in a show, judges would probably deduct points for it. It doesn't look natural and hints at a bit of neglect.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I scrape heaps of byrum moss from all over the place here... sidewalks, driveways, you name it. In fact, I just collected two paper plates full from the parking lot at work last week! Take it home, clean it, pluck all the nasties off. Looks super green and fluffy just like this "kyoto" stuff, and all it costs me is a little time and effort to get it stored. I keep it in clear plastic containers in the greenhouse and mist once a week or so. Easy. There are other mosses I get also, and for those I just take a short drive to the woods and peel it off rocks and downed trees. Unless you live in a desert, there's no real need to buy moss. Just go find it.
The Kyoto moss IS Bryum species. the "Kyoto" crap is tacked on by sellers to make it sound "Authentic." It is basically the exact same species you are collecting, only with an inflated price tag and artsy envelope. 😁

Top Bottom