Growing Moss?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Hey guys, This is probably a stupid question but Ill ask it anyway. I live in the Florida Keys and I was wondering if there was a way to grow moss for my bonsai trees. I've never seen moss down here this far but I was in Orlando one year and there was tons in the cracks of the side walk that I stole. Long story - short, it died.

Should I just buy some? Can I make some magically grow out of thin air? Should I buy seeds, if so what kind? What's the best or hardiest? What's easiest? Any moss aficionados out there that can shed light for me?

Thanks!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collect it and save it in flats but that does you no good if you haven’t seen any.
930D97B9-CB28-40DF-8950-96D6333E5A03.jpeg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No moss in the Keys? That's surprising. Maybe its the salt air?
Check out this site for some growing info: Moss Acres
CW

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
No moss in the Keys? That's surprising. Maybe its the salt air?
Check out this site for some growing info: Moss Acres
CW

Thanks! Ill check it out!

I thought so too. As much humidity as we have and the rains we get during the spring and summer, you would think it would be everywhere but I think you're right about the salt air.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the air is salty enough to kill moss....
Somehow I feel you would die.

If you boil saltwater, and it evaporates, the salt remains in the pot.

I Google mapped your keys and the landscape is like a desert!

Is it possible it gets too hot between rains?

Seems more likely, as even all the grass edges are brown.

The Home Depot in Marathon should have moss on plants you can swipe.

At least that moss is semi adapted, or, if you fimd it dying on well watered plants that have been there a while....
You can call it a futile mission IMO.

But it isn't.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Moss doesnt like salt, heat and fertilizer.
If you want to grow your own, get some black peat as a base layer and go hunting. City walls usually are good spots, especially in the northern corners where the sun doesn't reach.

But sometimes, moss just doesn't want to grow. My peat bog has good and bad years when it comes to moss production. Some years it produces over a kilogram per square meter. Some years none at all.

As for ordering the stuff online: dried moss can revive pretty easily, mix with dried sphagnum when planting and water daily for at least 2 weeks. Or, throw a bunch in a clear plastic contaier, water it, place in the shade and poke a few holes in the lid. After 2 months, it should be packed, if proper ventilation is done. It will die outside the box, and revive back again if you're lucky.

But yeah, that sea air.. Great against fungi, bad for moss.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Moss doesnt like salt, heat and fertilizer.
If you want to grow your own, get some black peat as a base layer and go hunting. City walls usually are good spots, especially in the northern corners where the sun doesn't reach.

But sometimes, moss just doesn't want to grow. My peat bog has good and bad years when it comes to moss production. Some years it produces over a kilogram per square meter. Some years none at all.

As for ordering the stuff online: dried moss can revive pretty easily, mix with dried sphagnum when planting and water daily for at least 2 weeks. Or, throw a bunch in a clear plastic contaier, water it, place in the shade and poke a few holes in the lid. After 2 months, it should be packed, if proper ventilation is done. It will die outside the box, and revive back again if you're lucky.

But yeah, that sea air.. Great against fungi, bad for moss.

Thanks for the info!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

moss is used - only - when exhibiting your trees.
Gives the lawn / field effect..

Normally helps the soil hold more water - you may not want that.
Can lead to root rot.

To make the soil more decorative do as we do, blend white inorganic with red inorganic
or other colours.

Look around see what else grows, other than moss, you might find weeds or
small grasses that can be grown in individual pots as accents or decoration.
Google - Kusamono.
Good Day
Anthony

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Paul,

moss is used - only - when exhibiting your trees.
Gives the lawn / field effect..

Normally helps the soil hold more water - you may not want that.
Can lead to root rot.

To make the soil more decorative do as we do, blend white inorganic with red inorganic
or other colours.

Look around see what else grows, other than moss, you might find weeds or
small grasses that can be grown in individual pots as accents or decoration.
Google - Kusamono.
Good Day
Anthony

Thanks Anthony... I would love to find some sort of small grass. Thanks again.. I look into it.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I agree that you're best off maintaining your own moss "culture." I'd keep looking for wild sources around where you live (since local moss will do best in your climate), and propagate any small bits through the "put in a blender with long fiber spaghnum, plant on dirt/potting soil, keep moist" methods.

If you're feeling impatient (and/or want more variety) check out Moss Acres. I'd skip the milkshakes and just go for one of their starter packs of live mosses and/or bags of fragments. If you *really* want to make a start in moss gardening, you can pay them a lot of money to get *a lot* of moss. But the 1-2sq ft. coverage kits they have will give you a good start (especially if you do the "blender+spag" thing to stretch it some).

Then do some artificial selection -- like this 2ft 10 variety kit. Plant a few patches on trees, blend some up to propagate, take what survived the summer (and you like the look of) and propagate it further.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that you're best off maintaining your own moss "culture." I'd keep looking for wild sources around where you live (since local moss will do best in your climate), and propagate any small bits through the "put in a blender with long fiber spaghnum, plant on dirt/potting soil, keep moist" methods.

If you're feeling impatient (and/or want more variety) check out Moss Acres. I'd skip the milkshakes and just go for one of their starter packs of live mosses and/or bags of fragments. If you *really* want to make a start in moss gardening, you can pay them a lot of money to get *a lot* of moss. But the 1-2sq ft. coverage kits they have will give you a good start (especially if you do the "blender+spag" thing to stretch it some).

Then do some artificial selection -- like this 2ft 10 variety kit. Plant a few patches on trees, blend some up to propagate, take what survived the summer (and you like the look of) and propagate it further.

sparklemotion gives you some good advice on propagating moss.

The Midwest Bonsai Society president gave a presentation on growing moss, he said that the substrate you find the moss growing on is important.

If it is growing on dirt it needs an organic soil mix to survive in a Bonsai pot.

If you use an inorganic soil mix, look for moss growing concrete or rocks.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey guys, This is probably a stupid question but Ill ask it anyway. I live in the Florida Keys and I was wondering if there was a way to grow moss for my bonsai trees. I've never seen moss down here this far but I was in Orlando one year and there was tons in the cracks of the side walk that I stole. Long story - short, it died.

Should I just buy some? Can I make some magically grow out of thin air? Should I buy seeds, if so what kind? What's the best or hardiest? What's easiest? Any moss aficionados out there that can shed light for me?

Thanks!
Depending on where you are in the keys, look for old north facing surfaces on trees or fences, away from the coast, maybe in suburban areas or botanical gardens. I’m in Orlando and it not hard to find moss if you keep your eyes peeled. Try old plant nurseries or parks with good tree cover and rich soils as well. They like constant moisture, so somewhere that gets irrigated but is otherwise neglected is a good place to start.

Top Bottom