Growing Other Stuff 2021

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We all like growing things around here, but don't get around to sharing our non-bonsai projects very often. Up here in the northern hemisphere it's just about time to plan our summer plantings, whether it be flowers, vegetables, landscape plants, your nursery side project, or your whole farm of crops to feed the masses. I imagine in the south, someone is harvesting something right now, and that totally counts, too.

Let's talk other growing stuff and the fruits of our labors!

Last summer we bought a house! Nearly two acres on the outskirts of town with irrigation. That apparently means we have to plan and plant an entire friggin' farm to match the 900 square foot chicken coop I built.
On the list already:
About 100 tomato plants in some dozen or so varieties
About a half dozen varieties of cucumbers
Squash; name one; we're apparently planting one of everything
20 melons; about half of them different watermelons
Two 100 foot rows of sunflowers of about 7 or 8 varieties
Only about a dozen and a half brassicas: about 2 to 4 varieties each broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage
Lettuce; about 5 varieties
I guess radishes are a thing this year because there's about 8 varieties, including wasabi.
We're still arguing over where to put the potato pyramid.
And I don't remember the rest of my wife's list. Bipolar is fun... except for the part where I have to keep up.
But first we need an 8 foot fence to keep the deer out, and guess what isn't available now days. Fencing supplies.

That said, I'm stoked to try growing tobacco for the first time. As soon as I find a place to put it. It's time to plant the starts, but our grow room is full, and then I still need to plant them outside eventually.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sounds like quite a project. Our yard is roughly the same size, I just plant 8 tomato plants, lol.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
. Bipolar is fun... except for the part where I have to keep up.
...yeah. You got lucky (Lucky, here, is relative)... there’s TWO types.. I get to “weather” the OTHER-types “storms”.... 🤣

It’s ok.. my knowledge of the human brain allows me to “help” her through...most times...

Even with the decent amount of schooling, though.. cannot escape that “Therapists Conundrum”...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We are doing Peppers and maters, so far... along with a bunch of wildflower seed.. helping them bees.

🤣

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like quite a project. Our yard is roughly the same size, I just plant 8 tomato plants, lol.
...yeah. You got lucky (Lucky, here, is relative)... there’s TWO types.. I get to “weather” the OTHER-types “storms”.... 🤣

It’s ok.. my knowledge of the human brain allows me to “help” her through...most times...

Even with the decent amount of schooling, though.. cannot escape that “Therapists Conundrum”...

There tends to be issues with bipolar people and impulse spending. The home purchase kinda kicked this into high gear, but my wife does an excellent job of redirecting the urge to by stuff in relatively healthy directions. Consequently, we have enough seeds to plant the next three years' garden on this scale, and our five-year-old has so many $1 thrift store shoes she can't handle them any more. 👍

@HorseloverFat, some of your posts in other threads make a little more sense now. I knew there was a familiar flavor to about your particular brand of lunacy. ;)

Also, tomatoes and such is just fine. Post! Or I'll look at you all funny! 🤡

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Papavers.. just started sprouting.

In simulated Spring. 57.8F-61F Days/ 50F-54F Nights.
16/8 Under 2 Fluoros. (24” and 18”)

3E5ADED3-D185-40EF-BAE6-3E50845E2836.jpeg
(Gotta look real close 🤓)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ooh. Keep me posted on that aji. We started some new baccatum seed we just got- hybrid called sugar rush peach- at least one of which is going bonchi some day. Never grown any capsicum baccatum before, so I'm excited to see what happens.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ooh. Keep me posted on that aji. We started some new baccatum seed we just got- hybrid called sugar rush peach- at least one of which is going bonchi some day. Never grown any capsicum baccatum before, so I'm excited to see what happens.
Absolutely! I plan on shaping at least a couple “handsome” specimens from each type.. I have the sugar cream rush.. so it’s probably related somewhere down the line. The sugar creams that my cousin grows(Oregon), he claims to be the 2nd tallest-growing he owns, 1st is starfish. The smallest.. the Aji, of course. 🤓

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love cactus in cooking!
I've only gotten to try it a couple times, but not enough to really figure it out. In Mexico they raise domesticated cultivars with almost no needles in them, and sometimes you can find them in grocery stores here. The actual fruit of prickly pear is often used in jams and the like all across the southern border states, though. Wanna guess what it tastes like?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've only gotten to try it a couple times, but not enough to really figure it out. In Mexico they raise domesticated cultivars with almost no needles in them, and sometimes you can find them in grocery stores here. The actual fruit of prickly pear is often used in jams and the like all across the southern border states, though. Wanna guess what it tastes like?
Green!?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No! It tastes like potatoes, silly!

But no, really, they taste exactly like pears, only richer and sweeter.
Hehe! I’m actually familiar with prickly pear. I was just potato-jostling. 🤣

The tea made from the flowers(?), perhaps other parts... is delicious.. and surprisingly filling.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This (Pictured) particular cactus is more salty/bitter than others ;) .. but still has that refreshing, verdant, Aloe-like taste that most cacti are known for, especially in that xylem layer.

Top Bottom