Growing Other Stuff 2021

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you guys harvest when amber?

I’m thinking of trying TOP harvesting when 30-50 percent amber, and letting lower buds mature slightly longer.
She waits until at least 50% amber, occasionally more if they're not sticky enough for her liking. She mainly uses it for bipolar, so she goes for the mellow.

Yeah I do have some neem oil, with no instructions mind you. I am considering that this time round as got to change something up.
I use a pyrethrum contact spray which is good but by then they are already there.
Might dig out the neem, post a pic of it and see if anyone knows the mix rate for whatever percentage it is.
If I recall, it's something like 3 Tbl per 2 gallons water. So about 44 ml to 7.5 l.
You might check online first, though. It's been a while.
Wait at least 3 or 4 days after application before harvesting. Two weeks or a good rain storm to make sure the flavor is completely uneffected.

We usually pay the kids .10 to .25 cents for every ladybug they find, and put them in the garden, but this year there are ALLOT of ladybugs and preying mantis already.
Would you believe one of those things volunteered in the flower bed this year? Must be allot of folks in the neighborhood growing now days.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
She waits until at least 50% amber, occasionally more if they're not sticky enough for her liking. She mainly uses it for bipolar, so she goes for the mellow.

If I recall, it's something like 3 Tbl per 2 gallons water. So about 44 ml to 7.5 l.
You might check online first, though. It's been a while.
Wait at least 3 or 4 days after application before harvesting. Two weeks or a good rain storm to make sure the flavor is completely uneffected.

We usually pay the kids .10 to .25 cents for every ladybug they find, and put them in the garden, but this year there are ALLOT of ladybugs and preying mantis already.
Would you believe one of those things volunteered in the flower bed this year? Must be allot of folks in the neighborhood growing now days.
I also do the “kids collect ladybugs” thing... but I don’t pay! 🤣

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also do the “kids collect ladybugs” thing... but I don’t pay! 🤣
In our eyes it's a way to encourage them to keep in touch with their surroundings, pay attention to detail, and keep an eye out for opportunities. They rarely make more than a dollar or two a year off it anyways, and in recent years have just taken to doing it on their own without pay.
They also prefer to just add their own change to the Christmas jar most times because they understand what that means, so they've caught on that they're paying themselves by helping out.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
D’ya guys want to see something neat?

So.. before I was to actually SELL any of my Papaver seeds.. I needed to first make sure that the pods produced IN CONTAINERS made viable seed..

So I ran a a couple test, germination trays.. all lamp. In my “flowering plants” area..

Right off the bat.. I had 1 sprout in 4 DAYS.. HIGHLY unlikely.. the rest sprouted at 10-25 days..

But that ONE.. is a mutant...

Here are it’s siblings from around days 18-20.. 9CEE1722-74F7-46E2-AF5B-32AD7F26D3FE.jpeg
Now the Mutant.. sprouted at day three.. so had a LITTLE head start...

But check the growth difference.F6A5EB14-B85C-440E-B03B-B0634409A0CA.jpeg
Upon closer inspection.. has TWO primary flower buds... I’ve never seen that on a Poppie.A1BBA035-01F6-47FE-B2E6-230A538E7FE2.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D’ya guys want to see something neat?

So.. before I was to actually SELL any of my Papaver seeds.. I needed to first make sure that the pods produced IN CONTAINERS made viable seed..

So I ran a a couple test, germination trays.. all lamp. In my “flowering plants” area..

Right off the bat.. I had 1 sprout in 4 DAYS.. HIGHLY unlikely.. the rest sprouted at 10-25 days..

But that ONE.. is a mutant...

Here are it’s siblings from around days 18-20.. View attachment 410132
Now the Mutant.. sprouted at day three.. so had a LITTLE head start...

But check the growth difference.View attachment 410133
Upon closer inspection.. has TWO primary flower buds... I’ve never seen that on a Poppie.View attachment 410134
Sounds lik eyou need to propagate that !

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well I’ll be damned.. they’ll flower at 100 percent artificial...

This mutant has a 16-point crown... that’s the biggest I’ve seen in containers.4AC230DD-C94F-4A92-9989-A65B9C56FC73.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Does not mean this thread is dead yet. Just bored so getting the next one going.

Top Bottom