Growing Other Stuff 2021

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool. I have tried several times, but no cigar.
This probably is not the regular stuff from the supermarket, but something that has not been treated against sprouting? Else.. Tell me your secret! :)
It IS actually the regular stuff from the supermarket. Food handling and transportation laws may be different where you are, but here they are usually not treated in any way unless they come from overseas.
Actually the trick was we planted it back in November or early December, gave up on it and stuck it in a corner, then went looking for a pot two months later.

When starting anything from supermarket stuff, it's best to get certified organic. With ginger, pick the knobiest, gnarliest roughest root you can find. Something you normally wouldn't get for cooking with because it's lots of tiny offshoots that are too little root to skin ratio. It's more likely to have the rhizomes that will eventually sprout. Put it in soft, loose soil that will dry out fairly easily, and water well once. They don't like wet feet. We used brown matter compost still full of mulch mixed with sand to prevent it from compacting. Then just forget about it apparently.

Our plan is to move them into a large planter in the front yard, and try and get some turmeric going as well. The planter should provide just enough mass to keep them from dying completely over winter. The flowers for both are brilliant neon colors that should contrast the nearby lilacs, lilies, tulips, daffodils nicely if they bloom early, and keep colors going all summer long if not.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Garden fence in!
KIMG0620.JPG
Only a week behind, but, hey, it's done.
That's a shot from the furthest back corner. Roughly a quarter of an acre of planting space surrounded by an 8ft game fence. The hippies keep trying to turn the town into a mule deer petting zoo, so we had to do something.

The entire southern stretch will double as grape and hardy kiwi trellis. The field behind everything in the shot is nearly an acre, and will be for ground vines like squash and melons, and fruit trees. Sunflowers and peas wherever we can fit them. Still trying to identify a good asparagus patch. The big rock pile where the green slide is is also a water feature. We'll put strawberries all over it.
Another week's work and we'll have the planting beds in, and our tomatoes and peppers heading out.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Garden fence in!
View attachment 364606
Only a week behind, but, hey, it's done.
That's a shot from the furthest back corner. Roughly a quarter of an acre of planting space surrounded by an 8ft game fence. The hippies keep trying to turn the town into a mule deer petting zoo, so we had to do something.

The entire southern stretch will double as grape and hardy kiwi trellis. The field behind everything in the shot is nearly an acre, and will be for ground vines like squash and melons, and fruit trees. Sunflowers and peas wherever we can fit them. Still trying to identify a good asparagus patch. The big rock pile where the green slide is is also a water feature. We'll put strawberries all over it.
Another week's work and we'll have the planting beds in, and our tomatoes and peppers heading out.
Ni-yeeeeece!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This spring:
Kohkrabi
Peas
Beets
8 types of tomato
3 types of sweet pepper
Cucumbers
Cantelope
Lettuce
Kale
Spinach
Bush beans
Pumpkins... etc.

Typical vegie shit.

Anyone have any unique heirloom tomato varieties they have saved seed for? I save my seeds yearly and love growing random varieties. Be willing to trade.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This spring:
Kohkrabi
Peas
Beets
8 types of tomato
3 types of sweet pepper
Cucumbers
Cantelope
Lettuce
Kale
Spinach
Bush beans
Pumpkins... etc.

Typical vegie shit.

Anyone have any unique heirloom tomato varieties they have saved seed for? I save my seeds yearly and love growing random varieties. Be willing to trade.
NEXT YEAR, my friend.. I have many heirloom toms and Peppers..

Next year... it is ON!

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Artemesia Vulgaris.. variegated... ugly.. but a useful “dream tool”

These are some self-sown clones that I’m training to be more “handsome”.. but the variegation... it’s just plain ugly, in my opinion...
I have mugwort “stock” clones that get planted out each year and run crazy.4052889A-AF9F-409B-B033-F1E7F5F7E662.jpegFB4FF7BA-0DCA-4303-BBA1-065FC376004E.jpegF2B8E3D1-C2D7-4671-8775-5D4F34C6E3D7.jpeg3DA5A7BC-D0B2-4DC6-A416-14E4799ABE7C.jpeg6987BA26-69F3-4362-87FD-AEB1F3449B23.jpeg9A4B1513-5509-46DC-B8CE-90208EE8AD43.jpegP

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll see what we have. We went heavy on the heirlooms this year, including a bunch we've never personally seen before. I'll see if I can get the full planting list.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Next year... it is ON!

🤓
Also I got these Papavers... “Black Beauty” heirloom..Bought from the cultivaTOR’s daughter.. who kept the unique species variation goin’. SUCH a cool story. I will have MUCH seed.E3A68D14-D3E5-41F1-A712-133383C625CC.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Next year... it is ON!

🤓
Also, I have heirloom tomato stock like THIS.. (Peppers are long gone.. but have personal for next year’s seeds).. I normally sell stuff like this locally.. I have never shipped plants.

Here’s SOME(just one tray) of my “sellin’ maters” or “tradin’ maters”

3CD84373-CA3C-4AEF-AA9D-C002BE10B4B5.jpeg
Just found their NEW temporary homes today, actually. :)

I had to get my other veggies out, too.... the temps in my apocalypse area average over 60, daily...

Just gotta step them at 50-55F

🤓

0058FD54-E33B-440D-96FC-FF8741A25D14.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My Papaver germination tray is right in that “sweet spot” for transplanting annual flowers... I separated and Transplanted until I ran out of soil AND containers... even using a LOT of SUPER ridiculous things as planters.
And this is a small PART of what my germination tray looks like... AFTER..5658311A-FD71-46DD-A594-BE3FDD22D61C.jpeg
...just culling from here on out... it’s sad. :(

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Artemesia Vulgaris.. variegated... ugly.. but a useful “dream tool”

These are some self-sown clones that I’m training to be more “handsome”.. but the variegation... it’s just plain ugly, in my opinion...
I have mugwort “stock” clones that get planted out each year and run crazy.View attachment 365656View attachment 365657View attachment 365658View attachment 365659View attachment 365660View attachment 365661P
I also have a mugwort plant that I'm going to propagate this year. Not variegated - just the run of the mill.

I'm excited to see my goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) and bloodroot (sanguinaria canadensis) waking up for the season. I plan to plant out many more goldenseal this year to try and get a little field going of them. I suppose it's a perk of having a pretty shady backyard even though I can't grow a lot of the more light-demanding plants.

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just looked it up. Interesting choice, but then I always say that about morning glory types. Probably because they're nuisance plants to me.
To each their own.

Germination within 12 months seems a bit impractical for an annual for regular gardening purposes. Keep us posted on this experiment. I'm intrigued.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just looked it up. Interesting choice, but then I always say that about morning glory types. Probably because they're nuisance plants to me.
To each their own.

Germination within 12 months seems a bit impractical for an annual for regular gardening purposes. Keep us posted on this experiment. I'm intrigued.
Yes.. uuuhg.. it was SUPPOSED to be Ipomea Pes-Caprae... Beach Morning glory..

Top Bottom