Growing Princess Persommon from Seed

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anyone grown princess persimmon from seed? If so, what are the steps?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Treat them like any other seed requiring a cold stratification, but here are some pointers:

I let the fruit get really ripe and soft, then separate the seed from the flesh in a bucket of water.
In Oregon I just plant them 1/4" deep outside in pumice in December, but if it is extremely cold where you are you may keep them in a cold frame. I believe the climate is mild in their native range.
Princess persimmon germinate very late: Late June or even July or August. Do not panic this is normal.
It may take up to 5-7 years for the seedling to flower. They say the ratio is 60% male and 40% female.

This is January:
1668079979780.png

... and June:
1668079864345.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Has anyone grown princess persimmon from seed? If so, what are the steps?
I leave the fruit on the tree until it starts to get soft. Then I go in and cut all the fruit off with scissors. I put the fruit in a plastic freezer bag and leave it out on the bench the remainder of winter. As soon as the risk of a hard freeze has passed, I pot them up in Anderson flats like @NaoTK I keep them in the flats for two full years, and then move them into other containers.

They are not particularly big seedlings - perhaps 3-4" of growth the first year (as compared to my chestnut seedlings which grew 18" the first year).

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I have successfully germinated them from seed. I had fruit sent to me and I basically let the fruit rot in the bag. After that I separated and cleaned the seed. I cold stratified in the fridge until I saw roots emerge and began planting them as soon as the roots hit about one inch. The roots are black and look like they have mold on them, but that's just how their roots are. They do take a long time to emerge from the seed casing so don't give up on them.

20220726_191134.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I stratified seeds after nicking the seed coat and soaking them overnight. I planted them in the spring. I only had 10 seeds and it was the first time I ever had 100% germination in a seed lot They grew about 6 - 12 inches first year and about 36" the second year. I cut them back hard.
This was I believe 4 years ago and I can't remember the seed source, but it was online.

Reaction score
Treat them like any other seed requiring a cold stratification, but here are some pointers:

I let the fruit get really ripe and soft, then separate the seed from the flesh in a bucket of water.
In Oregon I just plant them 1/4" deep outside in pumice in December, but if it is extremely cold where you are you may keep them in a cold frame. I believe the climate is mild in their native range.
Princess persimmon germinate very late: Late June or even July or August. Do not panic this is normal.
It may take up to 5-7 years for the seedling to flower. They say the ratio is 60% male and 40% female.

This is January:
View attachment 462385

... and June:
View attachment 462384
Hi,
I am sourcing some fruit to source moist seeds for germination. I have had trouble sourcing some - do you think you know a source or would you be willing to ship some to me? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Top Bottom