Growing Roots on a Board Questions (Lots of Questions, Sorry)

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I would like to try this technique on some of my trees at the appropriate time, but first I have many questions for which I can't seem to find answers. Links or general info would be great! First, what type of board is best used, and how do you attach it? Also, how young can/should the tree be? On what types of trees is it safe to do this? How long should the board stay on? Is the board attached during repotting? Any info would be great!

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
This is just what I was looking for! One more question: when screwing the tree onto the board, does the screw go directly up through the bottom of the trunk? Wouldn't that hurt the tree?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is just what I was looking for! One more question: when screwing the tree onto the board, does the screw go directly up through the bottom of the trunk? Wouldn't that hurt the tree?
Not if you screw it directly at the center of the trunk

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the moment, two forsythias and two or three Japanese maples. How young can the tree be? Is it worth doing it on maples that are 1-5 years old?

They just have to be thick enough to put a screw into the heartwood. If they're relatively small, use a thinner screw.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd predrill the hole in the trunk.
Investing in a few sized stainless screws would be wise. And the right drive tip..like right right ..not "Phillips". The right size.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is drilling into the heartwood necessary? Can't you just wire the roots to the board?
Drilling and screwing it to the board works best. The roots will try to grow down. Which will push the trunk up. The idea is to absolutely prevent them from growing down.

Read @markyscott’s thread, “Ebihara Maples”.

For really young trees that may be too thin to get a screw in, you can wire the roots down. I put a post in that thread on how it’s done.

You want to use a solid board if you can, rather than plywood.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Care to expand on that thought?
1/ There's no need. You can make a good (better and more natural looking) nebari by correct root pruning. 2/ The result when using a board in my experience results in horizontal roots - 90 degrees from the trunk.. It looks ugly to me. Roots should enter the ground at about 45 degrees. This results in better lower trunk expansion. 3/ Roots on a board are too even, look too studied. If you like it go ahead. 4/ I don't think you will continue to be satisfied with the results into the future as your tastes inevitably change. ( I sold all my examples ages ago) I am now trying to actively develop more variety into the nebari. This is more difficult than it might seem though.
So, the reason I say don't do it is I believe that you will come to look at it as an unnecessary effort later down the road.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
1/ There's no need. You can make a good (better and more natural looking) nebari by correct root pruning. 2/ The result when using a board in my experience results in horizontal roots - 90 degrees from the trunk.. It looks ugly to me. Roots should enter the ground at about 45 degrees. This results in better lower trunk expansion. 3/ Roots on a board are too even, look too studied. If you like it go ahead. 4/ I don't think you will continue to be satisfied with the results into the future as your tastes inevitably change. ( I sold all my examples ages ago) I am now trying to actively develop more variety into the nebari. This is more difficult than it might seem though.
So, the reason I say don't do it is I believe that you will come to look at it as an unnecessary effort later down the road.

You make a good point, but I think I'll still try it for myself. I also want to see some more pictures of the root-on-board method. I haven't really been able to find any.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ebihara used to thread a chopstick under roots to create undulations in the roots. It doesn't change the angle as they emerge from the trunk though.

Top Bottom