Growing seeds for first time

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought seeds for Cryptomeria japonica (Japanese Cedar) online and was looking to get some advice.

I live in NYC and want to know when the best time to plant these would be. I plan to let these grow for a number of years with the hopes of training them in bonsai form.

I figured I would wait a few weeks until temperatures decline into the 40s before proceeding.
I took a handful and plan to artificially stratify them using a refrigerator and want to plant another group in a natural setting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Fun project.
It doesn't really matter much when you start the stratification process. If you start it too early, and seed start to germinate in the refrigerator, the seedlings will only grow a little, then they will sit dormant in the refrigerator, until you plant them out in spring. This will work as long as refrigerator is kept at less than 40 F. I would recommend starting stratification about 3 months before your average last frost in spring. Soak dry seed in water 24 hours before putting in moss or other media and putting in refrigerator.

Top Bottom