Growing under lights - Diurnal cycle

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some days ago I posted a question of mine regarding plants' need for darkness in previously existing threads about artificial lighting.
In the meantime I did a search on the internet and I kept the main points of those scientific articles, papers etc.
I think I would like to share what I have come across my search for anyone who might be interested in this matter.
I would also like to ask anyone who is qualified by profession and studies to comment on.
Certainly you will find it lengthy but this is the most compressed summary I could make..., so thank you for your time!

Plants and animals are programmed to function in a certain pattern of daylight and darkness. Alter those patterns and unhealthy things often happen.

Plants have a diurnal cycle just like animals. They need darkness to reset the biochemical mechanisms and rebuilt the enzymes needed for the Krebs cycle.

There must be a distinct and indisputable difference between daylight and nighttime hours in indoor growing plants, just as there would be if they were growing outdoors.

Plants are naturally programmed to perform certain functions in the dark that are not possible when a source of light is present. Without this, plants cannot properly breathe or process their food, not being able to convert the day’s stored up energy into sugars they can consume or to get oxygen and release CO2. This is known as respiration, the lack of which leads to lesser root growth and an overall slowing even failure of crop development.

During daylight hours plants are busy creating carbohydrates from the energy the sun bestows which is technically known as photosynthesis. They are also taking in carbon dioxide and putting out oxygen.
When the sun goes down, plants shut down too. They fold their leaves, close their flowers and stomata, a phenomenon that to a human suggests they are sleeping. But not quite, they have much to accomplish before sunrise.

A new study sheds light and shows that plants actually get ready to respond to light (by growing, flowering or straining toward the light) while it’s still dark.
Researchers studied Arabidopsis, a small flowering plant commonly used in experiments, to tease apart the molecular mechanism the plant uses to respond to light. They found that while it is still dark, the plant produces and stockpiles a pair of closely related proteins (known as FHY3 and FAR1) that in turn increase production of another pair of proteins (known as FHY1 and FHL), key components of the light response mechanism.

The ability of plants and animals to measure environmental day length (photoperiod), typically by monitoring night length is called photoperiodism.
Photoperiodism can also be defined as the developmental responses of plants to the relative lengths of light and dark periods.
The biological ability to measure photoperiod permits organisms to ascertain the time of year and develop seasonally appropriate physiological and behavioral adaptations.

It has been known since the 1940s that it is the duration of uninterrupted darkness during a 24 hour cycle that governs developmental processes in trees such as dormancy, shoot growth, and flowering.
Photoperiod controls spring and autumn phenology of trees, and also regulates developmental processes such as vegetative development and flowering.
Plants measure day length from the amount of blue and red light absorbed during the day; thus, plants integrate photoperiod and light quality in order to determine the day length.

Trees as well as other plants are classified as short-day, long-day, or day-neutral according to their response to day length.
Short-day trees flower and enter dormancy when day length shortens in late summer.
Long-day trees flower in early summer and continue vegetative growth until days shorten in the fall.
Day-neutral trees are not affected by day length at all.

Photoperiod can also influence leaf shape; surface hairiness (pubescence); pigment formation; autumn drop time; and root development, as well as onset and breaking of bud dormancy. Some types of night lighting can alter the natural photoperiod and, consequently, upset these developmental processes.

Artificial lighting, especially from a source that emits in the red to infrared range of the spectrum, extends the day length and can change flowering patterns, and most importantly, promote continued growth thereby preventing trees from developing dormancy that allows them to survive the rigors of winter weather.

Although we classify plants as short-day or long-day, in some cases, plants may actually be measuring the length of the night. That is, it can be the length of the period of continuous darkness, not the length of the period of continuous light, that determines whether or not the plant flowers.
Typical short-day plants share the following characteristics:

• They flower when the day is short and the night is long.
  • They do not flower when the day is long and the night is short.
  • They do not flower when the long night is interrupted by a brief period of light.
  • They do not flower when the long day is interrupted by a brief period of dark.
This means that short-day plants measure the length of the night—the continuous period of darkness—and not the length of the day—the continuous period of light. That is, a short-day plant will only flower if it gets uninterrupted darkness for a length of time that meets or exceeds its flowering threshold. If there is an interruption to the darkness, such as a brief period of light, the plant will not flower, even though the continuous period of light—day—is still short.

The study of this biological need for darkness is called scotobiology.
In discussing scotobiology, it is important to remember that darkness (the absence of light) is seldom absolute.
An important aspect of any scotobiological phenomenon is the level and quality (wavelength) of light that is below the threshold of detection for that phenomenon and in any specific organism.
There are substantial levels of natural light pollution at night, of which moonlight is usually the strongest. For example, plants that rely on night length to program their behaviour have the capacity to ignore full moonlight during an otherwise dark night.

Study the plant you are growing and find out what climates it does best in, and try to simulate or optimize those light cycles.
Plants only set bloom when the night length is just right. Overworked plants obviously won’t be efficient at all, and declining health invites pests and disease to wreak havoc.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That was a very interesting read! Thank you for posting that.

I've always noticed that on most of my trees, the biggest growth spurts happen during night time. A perfect example being that Brazilian Rain Tree from the artificial light post which has been putting out new growth for a few days now- that means i'm doing something right! It's great to see that it's not just me, but the trees' natural behavior, according to your research.

Thanks again,
Rodrigo

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The biological ability to measure photoperiod permits organisms to ascertain the time of year and develop seasonally appropriate physiological and behavioral adaptations.
I found it interesting ho w easy it was measure the rates of stem of thickening and to see firsthand how the rate thickening peaks out shortly after the summer solstice (the annual day of longest light time). I did this and found that Douglas fir, lodgepole pine, zelkova, eastern redbud, and cork oak exhibit largely the same characteristic. Thus, the leaves produce a signal that changes the growth pattern of 'all' temperate/Mediterranean woody species when days begin to shorten. It would be interesting to see how tropical plants behave. There must be marked similarities, IMHO, because 'summer' (= after the summer solstice) also a good or the best time to repot them as well.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Osoyoung,

because of our dry / wet season, not a good idea to repot after May/June.
The tree will be hit with endless water.

Presently any watering is lasting for longer, no need to water in the evening.
Just mornings.

Yet the humidity is dropping to 60 % and winds are becoming continuous.
Signs of a dormant state coming on..
It is dark around 6.00 p.m.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting info.

Thanks

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a pamphlet on how to grow weed.
Except I've seen them guys leave the lights on 24/7 for vegetative growth for up to 8 to 10 weeks to achieve the most growth, then cut back to 12 on ,12 off to force flowering.
Apparently they fall under the short day heading.
A lot of good information on how to grow indoors and the use of inorganic soil components comes from them.
Its where I first heard about using napa8822 long ago.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not surprised. I stated in the other thread that plant physiology changes with light.

Plants evolved with a diurnal light cycle. It makes sense that an organism that needs light would have some important things going on while dark too.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks everybody for your comments :)

Mike @M. Frary indeed, I did see a lot of material on weed growing.
However, I strictly collected excerpts from scientific (...as much a I could say) sources and not from blogs, fora, etc.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some thing which I also found to be very interesting is the ATP molecule and its role.

What is ATP (adenosine triphosphate)?

All living things get the energy they need to live from a chemical reaction called respiration.
Respiration is a the three-stage process by which living cells break down organic fuel molecules in the presence of oxygen to harvest the energy they need to grow and divide.
This process needs glucose as a starting point.
So, plant cells respire, just as animal cells do. If they stop respiring, they will die.
Respiration is not the same as breathing, plants do not breathe.
Respiration uses oxygen and produces carbon dioxide. Photosynthesis uses carbon dioxide and produces oxygen.
During hours of darkness, plants cannot perform photosynthesis so they do cellular respiration in the mitochondria just as all living organisms do.

Cells require chemical energy for three general types of tasks:

to drive metabolic reactions that would not occur automatically;
to transport needed substances across membranes;
and to do mechanical work, such as moving muscles.
So, when energy is needed by the cell, it is converted from storage molecules into ATP.
ATP then serves as a shuttle, delivering energy to places within the cell where energy-consuming activities are taking place.

Krebs cycle (or else Citric Acid Cycle) is the second stage of cellular respiration,
It is the major pathway for the generation of ATP molecule.
During this pathway (Krebs cycle) many intermediate compounds are formed which are used in the synthesis of biomolecules like aminoacids, nucleotides, chlorophyll, cytochromes and fats.
After two rounds of the citric acid cycle, one molecule of glucose is completely oxidized to CO2 and its energy is captured in a series of steps.

ATP is produced from the conversion of biochemical energy from nutrients which take place into the cells of organisms.
The set of these metabolic reactions and processes through which this conversion is done is what we know as Cellular respiration.
These processes take place in the cells and after the conversion of nutrients into energy, then they release waste products.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am sure it has been done, so perhaps I will search up a journal but I am curious to see results from a study that would show if plants need the darkness or simply don't use the light...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everybody for your comments :)

Mike @M. Frary indeed, I did see a lot of material on weed growing.
However, I strictly collected excerpts from scientific (...as much a I could say) sources and not from blogs, fora, etc.
I get it right from a couple of growers.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am sure it has been done, so perhaps I will search up a journal but I am curious to see results from a study that would show if plants need the darkness or simply don't use the light...
This would be very interesting to know.
Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom