Grown from a clipping of 10 year old (Austry Tree?)

McMaple

Seedling
Reaction score
This smaller tree was a branch clipping i took from the Large tree in my yard, the larger tree is about 10 years old, if i am not mistaken its called an "Austy or Austry tree" couldn't find it on google but these trees dont grow in my area of Pennsylvania, mostly down south. right now i am letting the clipping grow out so next year i may try to create a bonsai from this tree. Thoughts? Austry 1.jpgBIG austry.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have never heard of an "austy tree" before. I can't find any listing for such a thing on the web. There is a willow hybrid called Austree, which was a copyrighted willow hybrid developed by an Australian company. It was developed for fast-growing windbreaks and is apparently some kind of corkscrew willow...

Willow species generally make poor bonsai for beginners, since they grow like weeds, need constant hard pruning. They also tend to drop branches in bonsai training. On the other hand, this hybrid apparently grows VERY aggressively, like 6-10 feet per year. It MIGHT be able to handle agressive pruning and clip and grow development.

McMaple

Seedling
Reaction score
yes its got to be the willow hybrid Austree. and yes it does grow very dramatically! unbelievably fast , and they do drop alot of branches and will take root in just standing water over a few week. as far as making it into a bonsai, im just experimenting with it for now, i really enjoy growing and studying trees...

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, those leaves and shoots look exactly like my willow. I just looked up corkscrew willow and evidently it is the exact species that I (just a few days ago in fact) decided after much research that my tree seems most likely to be (Salix Matsaduna). So we have cousins! :p

McMaple

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah, those leaves and shoots look exactly like my willow. I just looked up corkscrew willow and evidently it is the exact species that I (just a few days ago in fact) decided after much research that my tree seems most likely to be (Salix Matsaduna). So we have cousins! :p
Seems to be haha. you can cut off any new grown, stick it in water, or better yet Sand, and keep it wet entill you a good root growth. then i pant it in a soil that holds some moisture.

Top Bottom