Growstones?

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Do lava and pumice break down with freezing that much? I don't think they are as bad as akadama, hopefully someone else can chime in. Not a problem in my climate as we have very mild winters.

Lava and pumice do break down, but slowly. I'm hoping the grow stone are just as slow. Grow Stones have that "cheep" feel about them, which makes me think that they will break down faster.

I read the University study they had done for green roof plantings and the test were not nearly extensive enough. They froze them 6 times.... When fully saturated(which isn't typical for any media in a pot) they broke down after 3 freezes.

I will pick up a bag this year, plant a few sticks, and see how it holds up the freeze thaw cycle in practice.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you thought about completely saturating the product with water before messing with it? To protect yourself from the dust. Literally spraying it with water.
the problem with this method (for me) is that most media should be sifted into different granule sizes, and doing it when wet is like trying to push a rope. Your method may remove dust, but it would then need to be dried to sift.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not risk my life to sift. I also would not risk my afternoon to sift. I do not sift anything. My tree happily grow.

Top Bottom