Growth Management for 3 Itoigawa Junipers

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The last of the three. I think I might end up making this tree out of the branch coming back down along the trunk. The others have thickened up too much. I probably should have reduced more foliage originally and kept its grown in check. But on the plus side looking back at the original images, the trunk has thickened a bit.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 9.51.30 PM.png

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's two of the original three today. I'll repot the other one soon and get a picture of that too. Still learning how to properly style these but I think every year I gain a little more knowledge.

I'll remove the growth on the left of this first image in late spring and do some jin work.
Any consideration of keeping the left and removing the rest on the 1st one? Looks like the other 2 are both taking on a vertical shape and this could have potential for a cascade/semi type style. From the trunk that's visible it has some interesting character that gives an impression of struggle to grow, say on an alpine cliff setting. You already have ample jin that work with the idea of a struggle... wire up that left side and you're in business.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1677250902822.png
This tree? That was my original plan but the branch that extends left is too straight. I left the growth on the end to prevent the foliage going juvenile but also in hopes that I might get a bud to work with closer in on the straight section. I am not holding my breath on the bud though. I think keeping the right side and having it come sweep back over the trunk is the option the tree has given me going forward. But good to consider other options! Appreciate your input and thoughts.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The top on the tree above is still a little too high. But hoping with time I can reduce and compact it further.

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree? That was my original plan but the branch that extends left is too straight. I left the growth on the end to prevent the foliage going juvenile but also in hopes that I might get a bud to work with closer in on the straight section. I am not holding my breath on the bud though. I think keeping the right side and having it come sweep back over the trunk is the option the tree has given me going forward. But good to consider other options! Appreciate your input and thoughts.
Yes, this one. If you do a slight angle change & rotation next repotting, that will help with the straight section... If you rotated it slightly to the right (see below) and then spin it so it's facing slightly back or front, it will break up the straight line and make it appear to have a bit more movement. Then wire up those pads and it would look real nice. Then for balance paring down the foliage on the right side and leaving 1 or 2 branches that move to the left and add depth... pare down those jins a bit (i.e., rip back the ends so it looks natural vs artificial) and that starts to look weather beaten and aged.

Just an idea since your other 2 have a more upright orientation.

1677256485802.png

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's where these three are at today. From July 2020-July 2023. Going to wire these out this fall to sharpen them up a bit. Still a lot of growing to do though.

junipers.png

Top Bottom