Growth on the trunk

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently bought this Benjamin ficus. It has a grow on the base. Should it be removed?

Attachments

• ficus-growth2.jpg
    ficus-growth2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 98
  • ficus-growth1.jpg
    ficus-growth1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 77

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have carved away wire marks on F. Benjamina when they were probably under 4 yrs old. Now 10-15 yrs later, you would never know.
BUT what I did and what you are wondering about are pretty different. The species seems to be quite tough as far as care and feeding go. However that borders on big enough to girdle the tree if you cut it flush. It may send out roots. Thought of air layering it? Branches in the vicinity of a layer cut add to the likelihood that it will push roots.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you want a sacrifice branch?
Is it or will it ever add to the overall plan for the tree?

It's up to you.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmmm that almost looks like gall. It's pretty common on benjamina. I'd toss if it that is indeed what it is.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Why toss it? Can I surgically remove it?

It's suggested not to. The tools you use must be bleached and heavily cleaned or else it can spread to your other trees when you cut them. The local nursery burns the Ficus that have gall, they take it very seriously.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lost my shrub in the yard to crown gull this past spring. I thought I could cut some of the diseased out...but it was all through the roots and branches. It's a horrible disease. If that his what it is...the nursery said to spray my pruners with Lysol spray and wipe down with each cut.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow I had no idea this was a disease. I just googled it. I've never seen it irl. It's good to know what to watch for in the future. Thanks.

Top Bottom