Growth rate for new leaders / sacrifices on Japanese Maples

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have a maple that I chopped this year to get some more movement in the developing trunk. I have a new leader and a sacrifice about half way from the leader and base. The leader has grown 6ft or more so far this year. I should mention that the tree was also repotted into a larger grow box with only a limited amount of root work down during repotting.

How much growth can be expected out of a new leader if you keep all the branches off it and leave only a single terminal bud?

The mentioned sacrifice has grown about 4 -5ft and has just recently split into like 5 different growth buds. I am also trying to figure out, if I should choose 1 and remove the others.

The leader, even though it is longer than 6 ft is only about 1/2" thick.

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures needed if you want real advice.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that people say that length growth = thickness growth. And although that is true, and the physical movement in the swaying wind will help to get this thicker, I personally feel that leaving side-branches on the leader will enhance growth in thickness.

More foliage = More photosenthesis & Water / sugars transport = More floem buildup = more thickness.

The main thing to worry about is shading out the tree below. So I take off the side branches from the first foot or so. And the rest I leave on, normally. But with a 4ft runner I also only get about a half inch thick leader.

Top Bottom