Growth rate from seed

Reaction score
Sorry for this simple question. I tried all manner of phrasing on Google, and no luck lol

So I would like to get an idea of, how long does it take from the point when a seed first starts growing, to the size of (of course depending on species) say about 6 inches to a foot or so, a rough average?

I am reading about relative growth rates of species, but any further knowledge of this would be appreciated too.

on that note, I kno lots of seeds need cold for a season… I know this varies between species, and also tends to from smaller to larger seeds, but what is the germination time (if that is the correct time, from planting the seed to the moment it sorouts) of a seed

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Given your location, probably just a few weeks, depending on the species , of course. By the end of the seedling's first year, it could be 1.5 ft to 8 ft. tall. Elms take off like a rocket. Conifers, I've read, are much slower.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I grew some seeds last year and they do differ. I've got some still going after roughly one year:

Pines are about 3-5".
Chinese Elm is about 12".
Coast Live Oaks are between 8" and 12".
Crape Myrtle got to 7" or so before dying.
Loquats are about 12".

I see other people growing in better climates that get more than that. Keep in mind that most of this growth happens in 6-8 months. Have fun!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It feels like you're looking for more info that you know how to phrase the question for.

Are you asking about rate of growth from seed, or how long before you have something you can start working on?
The two questions are similar, but not the same.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had some seeds germinate in 2 days and others that have taken two years. I have grown some pines that grew less than 3 inches in a season and some plants, like Katsura tree, that grew 3 feet from seed in one season.

Reaction score
It feels like you're looking for more info that you know how to phrase the question for.

Are you asking about rate of growth from seed, or how long before you have something you can start working on?
The two questions are similar, but not the same.
Okay... do those questions differ, because you might want to train the seedling as it grows, in order to have something good to work on? If so, my question would be, what might the time be from germination to having something to work on?

And I guess I was initially asking, the growth rate from seed when leaving the plant pretty much untouched?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay... do those questions differ, because you might want to train the seedling as it grows, in order to have something good to work on? If so, my question would be, what might the time be from germination to having something to work on?

And I guess I was initially asking, the growth rate from seed when leaving the plant pretty much untouched?
Both questions have been answered and the answer is, it depends.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'll be original and just say, "yes." 😜

Species and growing conditions make a huge difference in growth rate.

I, personally, want to say give a seedling a year before wiring, or pretty much any other work. Let it establish itself as a living being first.
Some species defy this advice in various directions, but most you can't go wrong.

Examples: I've very recently learned that walnut will always have a tiny hollow spot at the heart left over from the pith of its seedling stage. So wait until it's hardened off and lignified, but not too long or it's too hard and you just break the wood trying to bend it.
Elm, on the other hand, lignifies by the end of the year's growth, but remains pliable for quite some time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is not surprising you cannot find an answer because there is no answer to general growth rates or time of germination.
Each species takes different time to germinate. Some show in just a few days while some palms can take a few years to show above ground. Seed treatment can also influence germination times. Hard seed can take months or years to germinate because water cannot penetrate the seed but scarifying the same seed will speed water penetration and germination in just a few weeks.

Growth rates vary hugely from species to species as already mentioned above. Climate, temperature, soil type, water availability and nutrition will also impact on post germination growth rates. The same seedling may grow 3" or a foot in the first year depending on where it is growing and how it is treated.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my question would be, what might the time be from germination to having something to work on?
How long is a piece of string? When is a pile of rocks a hill?

Pine seedlings are by some worked on as soon as the stem turns from green to purple, which can be a few weeks after germination. Some leave theirs alone untill they are ten years old.

- Which species do you intent to grow (A picea will give you a different answer than an elm)
- What do you mean "work on" (Is taking seedling cutting work? Is rootpruning? Baby bending? Or are we talking cutting back 10ft tall stovepipes to 2 inches?)

I do wonder whether you are asking yourself the right questions if your concern is with the time it takes to. If you are concerned about time, get pre-grown stock from a nursery.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The answer is simple. I planted some field maples last year. Some are 3 inch some are 6 inch and some are 12 inch and most are somewhere in between.
Assume we have 3 seeds, S1, S2, S3.
S1 = S2 = S3

Max height can be assumed to be growth rate G * time: ^t

Assuming ^t = 9 months, find G using the height of each seedling S1-S3 given above.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
S1 = S2 = S3

Assuming ^t = 9 months, find G using the height of each seedling S1-S3 given above.
Assuming:
S = species
Z = USDA zone favorability
E = environment (growth media + water + sun + fertilizer)
M = mother nature
D = desirability of tree

Then:
Growth = ((S+Z+E)^M)/D

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
S1 = S2 = S3

Assuming:
S = species
Z = USDA zone favorability
E = environment (growth media + water + sun + fertilizer)
M = mother nature
D = desirability of tree

Then:
Growth = ((S+Z+E)^M)/D
Growth = (((S+Z+E)^M)/D)^-N
Where N is level of Noobness 😜

Top Bottom