Growth Style Help Please

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
So because of how the tree was allowed to grow prior to purchase, I feel like I am pretty damn limited to how I can train it at this point. I was thinking that I could remove all but one branch and try to turn it into an informal upright, but have decided that I'd prefer a double trunk and could remove all but two of the branches. Thoughts?

Here is our tree currently. 20210415_165845.jpg

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is an example double trunk satsuki azalea that I'd like to try to mimic.Screenshot_20210506-211149_Photos.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Double trunk style typically has two main trunks originating low on the base of the tree, not starting higher up on the design. More suitable options at this stage are broom style or single trunk. The good news is this is a young tree with plenty of room to grow out. One other option would be to plant and grow out for five or ten years.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’d likely go for a broom style on it the way it stands.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Double trunk style typically has two main trunks originating low on the base of the tree, not starting higher up on the design. More suitable options at this stage are broom style or single trunk. The good news is this is a young tree with plenty of room to grow out. One other option would be to plant and grow out for five or ten years.
Thanks so much for your response, Frank. I took this picture from your website - would you call this a broom or double/triple trunk? I wouldn't mind making mine look similar to it.Screenshot_20210506-221449_Chrome.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks so much for your response, Frank. I took this picture from your website - would you call this a broom or double/triple trunk? I wouldn't mind making mine look similar to it.View attachment 372996
I would term it an informal upright. This tree originated from a landscape Satsuki azalea that was grown in the ground for twenty to twenty five years before being considered for Bonsai.
This is a picture of it taken the day my son dug it out. The base of the tree is approximately four inches and a good example of why I suggested planting and growing out for a long period of time. The trunks on my tree split approximately 2 inches up from the base. The overall tree is approximately 22 inches high.
IMG_4075.jpeg
The young tree you have could look considerably different in twenty years.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
I would term it an informal upright. This tree originated from a landscape Satsuki azalea that was grown in the ground for twenty to twenty five years before being considered for Bonsai.
This is a picture of it taken the day my son dug it out. The base of the tree is approximately four inches and a good example of why I suggested planting and growing out for a long period of time. The trunks on my tree split approximately 2 inches up from the base. The overall tree is approximately 22 inches high.
View attachment 373003
The young tree you have could look considerably different in twenty years.
Based on your profile picture and .ca website I'd assume you are in Canada. Are you in a coastal area with moderate temps or are your trees incredibly hardy?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based on your profile picture and .ca website I'd assume you are in Canada. Are you in a coastal area with moderate temps or are your trees incredibly hardy?
Vancouver Island , British Columbia, lower elevation, climate milder temperate zone 8b. My location is a bit of a micro climate shielded by a mountain range and three taller mountains in the vicinity. Higher elevations or further north on the island experiences colder winters usually.
I provide greenhouse protection for a few species and younger cuttings, seedlings or stressed trees if warranted.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So because of how the tree was allowed to grow prior to purchase, I feel like I am pretty damn limited to how I can train it at this point. I was thinking that I could remove all but one branch and try to turn it into an informal upright, but have decided that I'd prefer a double trunk and could remove all but two of the branches. Thoughts?
The azalea pictured is still very young. There is nothing substantial enough to direct the style which means you can develop almost anything with it given enough time and patience.

For informal upright you will need to keep one branch and a leader. That won't leave much but good bonsai is often a case of stepping back to go forward.
Twin trunk should divide really close to the ground so if you want twin trunk you'd need to plant this one deep - right up to the cluster of branches. In a year there will be roots all round the trunk and from the branches close to the soil. You could remove unwanted branches with roots and grow new azaleas and just leave the best 2 for a twin trunk.
Broom will be much quicker and easier if you are happy with a skinny stick in pot broom style azalea.
The good thing about azalea is when they flower nobody bothers to look at the structure, just the flowers so you can get away with skinny, young trunks. Just trim all the long shoots as they grow over summer. Stop trimming at the end of summer so flower buds can set if you want to see spring flowers.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
The azalea pictured is still very young. There is nothing substantial enough to direct the style which means you can develop almost anything with it given enough time and patience.

For informal upright you will need to keep one branch and a leader. That won't leave much but good bonsai is often a case of stepping back to go forward.
Twin trunk should divide really close to the ground so if you want twin trunk you'd need to plant this one deep - right up to the cluster of branches. In a year there will be roots all round the trunk and from the branches close to the soil. You could remove unwanted branches with roots and grow new azaleas and just leave the best 2 for a twin trunk.
Broom will be much quicker and easier if you are happy with a skinny stick in pot broom style azalea.
The good thing about azalea is when they flower nobody bothers to look at the structure, just the flowers so you can get away with skinny, young trunks. Just trim all the long shoots as they grow over summer. Stop trimming at the end of summer so flower buds can set if you want to see spring flowers.
Awesome, thank you! Your thoughts track pretty well with mine - nothing is really off the table if I do it right amd understand that it will be a multi-year process. I think I'm going to get a training pot and plant it deep, and then trim all but two branches and go for the double trunk. Thanks again!

Top Bottom