GSBF Convention 40, Riverside, CA, USA, October 25-29, 2017

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Golden State Bonsai Federation Convention #40 to be held in Riverside, California, October 25-29, 2017.

My local convention that I always try to attend!

Headliners:
David Nguy, Kunio Kobayashi, Boon Manakitivipart

Guest Artists:
Bill Castellon, Tom Elias, Frank Goya, Jim Gremel, Gary Ishii, Peter Macasieb, Ted Matson, Frank Mihalic, Fred Miyahara, Pauline Muth, Mike Pistello, Steve Price, Kathy Shaner, Tak Shimazu, Bob Shimon, Cary Sullivan, Michael Sykes, Jonny Uchica, Bill Valavanis, Steve Valentine

Several BNuts in this list!!

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I registered last week. See you there!
I haven't been to the SoCal convention in a number of years but never miss the northern one and usually serve on the convention committee.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't have 300, I would have to go with limited privileges.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you just want to go to the vendor area and the display trees, admission is free.
Yeah it's nice that that is free, I thought at first it might have been like bonsai-a-thon where you pay at the door to see the show and vendors area.

Thanks BNut

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like a great Convention. I'm curious and apologize if this question is inappropriate. However, how do you think the money is divided up in the workshops? For example is a Guest Artist has a 1 day workshop and charges $800/person, what percentage goes to Golden State and what goes the guest artist?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like a great Convention. I'm curious and apologize if this question is inappropriate. However, how do you think the money is divided up in the workshops? For example is a Guest Artist has a 1 day workshop and charges $800/person, what percentage goes to Golden State and what goes the guest artist?
Because GSBF is a non-profit organization I believe that information should be available if you ask them. Personally I get more out of spending money on plants but that is just me.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Gary is such a cool dude and I love his junipers and nursery, Chikugo-en in Gardena. I HIGHLY recommend his plants to anyone looking for something of high quality.

I recently purchased two of his fathers SJJ grafted shimpaku's. Without doubt the best raw material I have run across since my short time in the hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 53

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am looking forward to this event. I can't justify to myself (or my wife) the price of a workshop, at least not at this point of my journey. The awesome thing about it is I live within a comfortable walk to the convention center!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am looking forward to this event. I can't justify to myself (or my wife) the price of a workshop, at least not at this point of my journey. The awesome thing about it is I live within a comfortable walk to the convention center!

I like the fact that you have the option to only go to the vendor / display area if you don't want to / can't pay the full admission price. In my case, many times I just can't commit to the full four day schedule. I have actually only gone to the full convention once - though I have been up for the vendors and displays at least half a dozen times. I feel that if I can at least show up and support the vendors by buying a few trees, I am still supporting the larger convention.

Also, I wanted to point out that the registration price does include four meals, pin, goody bag, and all the demonstrations.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah it's nice that that is free, I thought at first it might have been like bonsai-a-thon where you pay at the door to see the show and vendors area.

I've never had to pay to get into bonsai-a-thon.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always payed even as a member, I didn't think it was free even for club members. Oops?

You need to know someone (ahem) who can send you the nametag / ticket. Your club should get copies (assuming San Diego Bonsai Club?) because they are members of GSBF.

I just checked the San Diego Bonsai Club site - and they charged to go there this year - but it was to pay for the bus trip not for admittance. Did you go on the bus?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You need to know someone (ahem) who can send you the nametag / ticket. Your club should get copies (assuming San Diego Bonsai Club?) because they are members of GSBF.

I just checked the San Diego Bonsai Club site - and they charged to go there this year - but it was to pay for the bus trip not for admittance. Did you go on the bus?
No I drive mostly, took the bus once. I think you're right about knowing someone.

Top Bottom