GSBF Convention Pictures?

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know the show isn't even over yet but once everyone has their pictures uploaded, we would love to see the beautiful trees!

Sorry for being demanding.:rolleyes:

-Tim

treekutter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gsbf convention

Who went? Any pictures

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll tell ya...when I don't go, things really dry up on the picture front.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
we didn't go this year either :( .... Tho we are planning to go to the ABS convention in Denver..... (puts me close to where i grew up in WY)

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I posted some of the Convention's exhibit trees in the gallery section of this site. Check them out there.

Me and IanB and BonsaiNut just show up on the last day of the convention. We hadn't plan on going, but this thread by Tim reminded us. The vendor section was plentiful just like usual. I only wished I had brought more cash. The deals are always better at the end of the convention. Some of the trees in the vendor section were just as impressive as the show trees in the Gallery exhibit. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• GSBF Convention Riverside 2011.jpg
    GSBF Convention Riverside 2011.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 117
  • GSBF Riverside vendor.jpg
    GSBF Riverside vendor.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 127
  • friends at GSBF 2011 Riverside.jpg
    friends at GSBF 2011 Riverside.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 137

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's my favorite tree at the convention. Mas Ishii's very old grafted shimpaku juniper is my all time favorite bonsai. It has fantastic curves! The smaller trunk is hard to see in photos but take my word for it, it is extremely artistic. It does not follow the rule. The foliage pads were not as well kept as I have seen it before, but it is still very well done. The pads look like clouds. Ian is in the picture for size comparison. Ian is a pretty big guy.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mas Ishii's juniper and Ian.jpg
    Mas Ishii's juniper and Ian.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Mas Ishii's tree.jpg
    Mas Ishii's tree.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
thanks Si
do you know if anyone took pics of the private bonsai collections.
in particular David Nguy's tress.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Art, I am sure somebody did. I heard there were a lot of people there. But those old foggies don't frequent here. David Nguy might be closer to you guys soon. He told me he's moving to Portland this week. I know of other people who took a lot of better pictures. I asked them to post more pics soon for your reading pleasure.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
You did remind us Tim. Thanks! I had a nice time there. Short but good. Next time I must register sooner and try to get a workshop in and get more people to come. That place is a great venue for a convention. There is a soul food restaurant right next to the convention center that I like to eat at everytime I visit Riverside. I noticed they took down their big portrait of Obama from the wall. The food was somehow better this time.;)

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my favorite tree at the convention. Mas Ishii's very old grafted shimpaku juniper is my all time favorite bonsai. It has fantastic curves! The smaller trunk is hard to see in photos but take my word for it, it is extremely artistic. It does not follow the rule. The foliage pads were not as well kept as I have seen it before, but it is still very well done. The pads look like clouds. Ian is in the picture for size comparison. Ian is a pretty big guy.
Enjoy!
I also like this tree.
I will post some of pictures here.
DSC_0892.jpg

Its trunk base
DSC_0894.jpg

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dwarf Hinoki Cyprress of Lindsay Shiba
DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0868.jpg

Coastal Redwood of Bob Shimon
DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

Oak of Al Nelson
DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

Bonhe

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks to everyone who posted pictures.... always a pleasure to see....

I know I am prolly not supposed to say this.... but I always wish Harry would spread out the crown on that cascade juniper....

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know I am prolly not supposed to say this.... but I always wish Harry would spread out the crown on that cascade juniper....

I'm sure everyone thinks that... but at the same time, who am I to question Harry Hirao? If he wanted to change it, he would :) As I look at it, I assume that he collected it that way...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm sure everyone thinks that... but at the same time, who am I to question Harry Hirao? If he wanted to change it, he would :) As I look at it, I assume that he collected it that way...

is that actually the original foliage?? either way.... I agree and while I would personally change it ... can't argue with Harry (well you can but you won't have many backers :p )

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
is that actually the original foliage?? either way.... I agree and while I would personally change it ... can't argue with Harry (well you can but you won't have many backers :p )

I don't know the story of this tree - but I'm sure someone here does. I saw Harry at the show and I should have asked him. There is that one tiny live vein that runs all the way up that magnificent deadwood. He may just be letting it go to strengthen it?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know the story of this tree - but I'm sure someone here does. I saw Harry at the show and I should have asked him. There is that one tiny live vein that runs all the way up that magnificent deadwood. He may just be letting it go to strengthen it?

I'll have to look but that tree has been around for decades. I don't think it will get much stronger nor will it change shape untill it is in a collection somewhere in California.

Top Bottom