Gsbf convention

treekutter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who went? let us know how you liked the convention. Pictures are always good.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It was great, as always!
I'll get some photos up soon.
Paul

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
During the convention I was deeply inspired about the direction that Bonsai is going in the U.S.. The U.S. keeps getting more and more talent and it was very encouraging to hear these Young Pro's thoughts and opinions and see their skills first hand.

It was a pretty incredible sight after Ryan Neil did his Demo and the tree underwent an incredible transformation. I don't think anyone can deny the talent, craftsmanship or skill that guy has. It was almost like a rock band just put on an awesome show, people were surrounding the stage looking at the tree and trying to ask Ryan questions. It was great to see someone this talented who was a strong public speaker and who could explain complicated concepts in an easy to follow manor.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I also attended the convention, and finally had a chance to meet the infamous Al K, as well as Vic and many others. It was a great experience, and something I would recommend to any bonsai enthusiast.

All the headliners were great! Michael Hagedorn created my favorite tree of the demos, and is an exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable guy. I took his workshop with engelmann spruce on Saturday, and absolutely loved it (new thread of my workshop tree later). I would take another workshop with Michael in a heartbeat.

Ryan Neil is a true great, and very unique in the fact that he is a strong speaker, and what he wants most is for the viewer to learn. He was able to work on the material while presenting every technique and idea to the audience, AND answer questions and talk about his personal views on bonsai politics and the future of the art. It was, to say the very least, impressive. I often have this feeling of "wow, I'm finally doing pretty good with this whole Bonsai thing," only to be brought back to the reality of how infantile my bonsai knowledge and abilities really are. That was the effect Ryan's presentations had. Simultaneously awe inspiring and depressing, in a whirlwind of information and expert styling. Though, this is how it should be I suppose. It mostly made me want to be better.

Unfortunately I didn't have much of a chance to see Peter Warren's demo, though he seemed like another well educated bonsai professional, and I would like to see his work in the future.

All in all, a fantastic experience! -=Brian=-

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Inspite of being sick for most of it... I had a blast, and loved meeting Mike Page, Arizona Pat, Brian and lots of other members of the gang.

Brian is a baby btw... don't let his composed demeanor throw you off... I am not sure he's of legal age to even drink..... jk.

Walked away with a smokin' cool stone and other goodies from the raffle. And Al and Yamadori were a hoot as always!

Got to know some AWESOME CA bonsai folk and hang out with my girl Kathy Shaner.

Will likely hit REBS next year instead, but I will always have a soft spot for GSBF.

Peace,

Fabio's Sista

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the first one I've missed for many years, just too many commitments to family activities. My seven year-old son is now the proud member of an elite traveling ice hockey team, and the weekly practices, weekend games, and lots of traveling to games, takes most of my time. But next year there is Riverside, and that is too close to my place, to miss.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's enough with the Fabio cracks!

BTW, next year in Riverside I'm changing my name to Flabio!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Now now, Vic. I am a full quarter century old... Also, I was not even close to being the youngest one there. A ten-ish year old boy attended the event, and won a hundred bucks from GSBF for bonsai material!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inspite of being sick for most of it...

Will likely hit REBS next year instead, but I will always have a soft spot for GSBF.

Peace,

Fabio's Sista

You would be better off skipping REBs and making the bi-annual shohin seminar in February 2012. More laid back, same great folks, smaller more intimate venue, wayyy cheaper and a larger bang for the buck. Got to be fast though it sells out fast.

The one, the only....FABIO

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Day After GSBF Convention

I had the good fortune of arranging to have Ryan Neil come up to the Santa Rosa area, where I keep my Sierra Junipers, the day after GSBF and work on them all day Monday. He spent most of the day working on one that I intend to keep and a couple of hours on a second one. The pictures are of the "keeper". The plan is to remove the part wrapped in the towel after the tree recovers. I intend to use him as often as possible

Attachments

• P1010119.JPG
    P1010119.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 132

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Day After GSBF Convention

I had the good fortune of arranging to have Ryan Neil come up to the Santa Rosa area, where I keep my Sierra Junipers, and work on them all day Monday. He spent most of the day working on one that I intend to keep and a couple of hours on a second one. The part with the towel wrapped around it will come off after the tree recovers. I intend to use Ryan as much as possible.
As show chair for the past 5 years, I was a bit put off by Al suggesting that someone should skip the REBS show. Nearly 200 trees on display, demos by Kathy both days, Vendor area close to the size of the convention's, members' sales room, free refreshments, free admission and parking, raffle and silent auctions both days. Need I say more!

Attachments

• P1010107.JPG
    P1010107.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010110.JPG
    P1010110.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010111.JPG
    P1010111.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010114.JPG
    P1010114.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 104
  • P1010119.JPG
    P1010119.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 105

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the good fortune of arranging to have Ryan Neil come up to the Santa Rosa area, where I keep my Sierra Junipers, and work on them all day Monday. He spent most of the day working on one that I intend to keep and a couple of hours on a second one. The part with the towel wrapped around it will come off after the tree recovers. I intend to use Ryan as much as possible.
As show chair for the past 5 years, I was a bit put off by Al suggesting that someone should skip the REBS show. Nearly 200 trees on display, demos by Kathy both days, Vendor area close to the size of the convention's, members' sales room, free refreshments, free admission and parking, raffle and silent auctions both days. Need I say more!

I don't disagree with that! I live here and never miss it. My suggestion was for a person from another state. I think the convention like atmosphere that Shohin provides is something different that a club exhibit can't deliver. The motel close by, the drinking, the food, etc., etc.

Besides Bob, I have been pusing the merits of REBs for years, a plug for shohin is good once and a while too.

Who knows...maybe they will do both and skip Riverside!

A shot of the display at REBs.

Attachments

• DSC_01110073.JPG
    DSC_01110073.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Wow, Ryan did an incredible job on that juniper. If you have him come back any time soon, I would love to come watch, or perhaps split a day with you. Maybe I'll convince Jim to have him do a workshop soon...

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
pushing your button

Al, I know that you have been a big supporter of REBS and appreciate it. I just wanted to push your button a bit and I suupose, a back door attempt to give REBS a plug. Thanks - Bob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, I know that you have been a big supporter of REBS and appreciate it. I just wanted to push your button a bit and I suupose, a back door attempt to give REBS a plug. Thanks - Bob

I think the important thing about either is the fact that California has so much to offer that we attract a huge out of state presense with everything we do here.

That is good for California any way you cut it!

Al

Reaction score
sierra juniper

excellent pics Bob !
do you have pics of the 2nd sierra juniper to share with us.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
second sierra

I guess I can tease you with a before picture, which turned out to be the back of the tree once we cleaned all the loose and dead bark. In the second picture, which isn't much help, Ryan is spliting the branches with a saber saw in order to bend them down. That is as far as he got on this one. I'll post more pictures after he returns and continues to work on the tree. This was collected north of Reno off of Hwy 395 at about 4,000 feet elevation. I think that it is a cross between a Calif & Utah Juniper.

Attachments

• P1010116.JPG
    P1010116.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010117.JPG
    P1010117.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom