GSBF Shohin Coast Redwood

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought this little guy from the Shimons at GSBF 2010. Here is the old thread; http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?4506-GSBF-Workshop-Michael-Hagedorn-Engelmann-Spruce

It has been just over a year since purchase, and the tree had its first re-wire. It is filling in nicely and the branches are finally beginning to thicken. It still puts out mostly compact growth, with a larger shoot here and there, but if they are pinched back they will backbud with smaller ones. I still like the Jim Barrett pot...

Attachments

• shohin red 1.JPG
    shohin red 1.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 93
  • red2011f.JPG
    red2011f.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 112

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
A few more views of the tree.

Attachments

• red2011f.JPG
    red2011f.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 81
  • red2011l.JPG
    red2011l.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 62
  • red2011b.JPG
    red2011b.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 60
  • red2011r.JPG
    red2011r.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 61
  • red2011t.JPG
    red2011t.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 63

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's lookin good.

I have not tried a redwood since I killed my first one. maybe one day i'll try again.

Rich

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

What is your plan for the apex of this tree?

John

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
John; I plan to keep the apex as singular as possible, which is a rare sight in most redwood bonsai. What are your thoughts on it?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have only ever seen pics of redwood bonsai and actual redwood trees...of course they remind me a lot of bald cypress!! But, at this point I don't think the apex looks very natural. I noticed it had a small jin previously and I wonder if you should let a sacrifice branch grow vertically to replace that small jin(might be something you have to do every few years given that the small jins aren't likely to last very long)?? I also wonder what would happen if you cut all the branches back to within an inch or so of the trunk and encouraged them to ramify more as they extend...I think that might help get rid of that look of old trunk and young branches...just my two cents as an observer...

Top Bottom