Guess I'm doing something right

Random User

Reaction score
They are an odd plant, middle of winter here in zone 3 and mine are trying to bloom too... even after I removed all of the bracts to conserve energy for the spring.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They are an odd plant, middle of winter here in zone 3 and mine are trying to bloom too... even after I removed all of the bracts to conserve energy for the spring.
Most people realise but bougainvillea bloom naturally in winter in their natural climate. But they obviously bloom several times per year.

Aaron

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
They bloom when water gets scarce and put on foliage during rainy seasons... Obviously they don't know about winter they are a tropical.

Random User

Reaction score
There is no rainy season in my house and "tropical" in zone 3 is around July 15th to August 7th... right now, we have 3 feet of snow on the ground and it hasn't been over -15 C for weeks. The point that I was making is that I took all of the bracts off, (more than once) and they still want to flower. For the record, I never own any plant that I don't do a ton of research on either before I obtain them, or shortly after. What I consider as being "odd" about them is that they don't seem to adjust their growing/flowering patterns to match the climate they are in.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
There is no rainy season in my house and "tropical" in zone 3 is around July 15th to August 7th... right now, we have 3 feet of snow on the ground and it hasn't been over -15 C for weeks. The point that I was making is that I took all of the bracts off, (more than once) and they still want to flower. For the record, I never own any plant that I don't do a ton of research on either before I obtain them, or shortly after. What I consider as being "odd" about them is that they don't seem to adjust their growing/flowering patterns to match the climate they are in.

I was not even replying to you but hell I am impressed! I would say the fact that you do research on plants sure does put you a bit above the rest of us dunces... lol Tell you what put your boog outside for about 15 minutes and it will stop trying to flower. ;-)

Random User

Reaction score
"Tell you what put your boog outside for about 15 minutes and it will stop trying to flower."

I suppose that would put a stop to it alright... stops most things in fact... ever try to pull 2" of dink through 4" of clothing, and not get dribbles on your snowsuit when the water shuts off?

Random User

Reaction score
@LittleJoe

Do you like that water can that you have?... I have their brass watering wand; I like it.

Random User

Reaction score
-15 (and lower) has a habit of changing "showers" into "growers", if you know what I mean.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love seeing Bougies on the forum.2016-08-03 17.23.03.jpg 20161230_125306.jpg

Mine flower off and on throughout the season with no real rhyme or reason. A couple things I have learned is you will get a lot of foliage and branching along with flowers while the pot has room for roots to grow. Once the pot has become root bound you will get little branching but you will still get the flowers. The first pic is of the boog last summer with tons of flowers but they were on the ends of the new vigorous growth so the shape is bad. The second pic is today showing the shape I am looking for but with flowers. So, the plan is to keep working on the shape/branches and when the pot becomes root bound I will get flowering within my desired shape.

Random User

Reaction score
Very nice... it's clearly going to flower again soon. Have you done anything to preserve the deadwood? And, how old do you estimate it to be?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice... it's clearly going to flower again soon. Have you done anything to preserve the deadwood? And, how old do you estimate it to be?
Thank you, I lime sulfer the deadwood and I am keeping a close eye on it. It is not as durable as a conifer and may need some alternative preservative method in the future. The tree was dug by my father from a neighbor's house 20 years ago. I would guess 30 years old at least.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bougie is slowly starting to realize that moving from the UK to Germany, and replacing organic muck with inorganic grit is not a bad thing. Leaves & buds! Flowers will be another year probably..

bougie_20161231_1.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh come on. That's just ruse, only showing the small one. Show us the big one, right behind the fence!

That is a really nice trunk.
Here you go. Last years picture. I already did a chop at the top line and I have new growth. I'm going to air layer at the bottom line later in the year.
bougie air layer.jpg

Top Bottom