Guessing the age of a JBP

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I acquired this slant JBP from a friend last year and styled it recently. He was not sure about its age. I am guessing it around 30 yrs from the looks of the bark.

Attachments

• WechatIMG515.jpeg
    WechatIMG515.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 157
  • WechatIMG516 1.jpeg
    WechatIMG516 1.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 132
  • WechatIMG518.jpeg
    WechatIMG518.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 120
  • WechatIMG519.jpeg
    WechatIMG519.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 143

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Likely near to correct guess. Not bad tree except huge bulge in trunk. Perhaps several years in ground enlargement of trunk could help. Also exists possibility to carve away most of excess diameter. However would be messy solution. If carved away AND ground grown to heal over carving would work somewhat better🤨.

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Likely near to correct guess. Not bad tree except huge bulge in trunk. Perhaps several years in ground enlargement of trunk could help. Also exists possibility to carve away most of excess diameter. However would be messy solution. If carved away AND ground grown to heal over carving would work somewhat better🤨.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion on the next development. The bulge is apparent but somehow not that bothering to myself :), it is not "that level" tree anyway. I might carving it a bit to distract as you suggested. thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Could be about right. The light color at the needles’ base and lack of bark on the lower portion of the trunk suggest it may have been kept too wet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be about right. The light color at the needles’ base and lack of bark on the lower portion of the trunk suggest it may have been kept too wet.
Hmmm... I wonder if the bulge in the middle of the trunk is a grafting scar? The bark quality below the scar and above the scar are different.

I’m not saying it IS a grafting scar, but it looks to be a possibility.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wonder if the bulge in the middle of the trunk is a grafting scar? The bark quality below the scar and above the scar are different.

That’s what I thought when I first saw it. Can JBP be ground layered?

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The back side

Attachments

• 2310C55F-1EDA-46E8-ACE7-C96E18063C4C.jpeg
    2310C55F-1EDA-46E8-ACE7-C96E18063C4C.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 85

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

That is a scar healed after the chopping of one branch, not sure if it was air layered, don’t think it was grafted though:)

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, the newly grown needles after a heavy decandle last year are not very healthy, lower part are on the softer side, over watering could be the reason. Thanks

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I will need to chop the treen and count the rings to determine the age lol.

Top Bottom