gunk remover

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bonsai4me has an article about Armillatox Cleaner. It is advertised as a driveway and patio cleaner but they claim they use it on their bonsai trees to remove the green algae on the trunk, and also as a general fungicide. I can find nowhere in the US that it is available, only in the UK. sure would be helpful in the hot humid Florida summers to have something besides elbow grease to clean the trees. Any other suggestions?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use plain white vinegar....my use is eliminating moss that grows onto the trunk bark or the sides of grow boxes where it appears over time. The moss dries brown in a couple days and goes away. An old toothbrush can help brush the dried moss off when I need something to do.

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think: Toothbrush + water? Why you always grab to chemicals, those are bad for the enviourment. Vinigar is could perhaps be bad for Ph, so i would recommend dilute it (1/5?) and don't use the too much.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trees with rough bark shouldn't be scrubbed with a toothbrush.

Vinegar dabbed on the moss will kill it. Be careful not to drip any on the soil.

Once you knock it back, come back in a couple weeks to retreat. It's better to do little touch ups through out the year than having to fight a big problem.

Top Bottom