Guy_wires Collection

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Here its very complicated, even the people in Spain cant send live plants easy and can be really expensive, I gues I have to wait a nursery brought some from the Netherlands. How are your Chinensis Stricta? those are very common to find here and the classic Chamaecyparis (all produced in Netherland greenhouses) they sell thousands of those xD

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to work with stricta.
They're more difficult than other needle junipers because they don't seem to respond as easily to pruning; instead of backbudding and producing new shoots further back the branches, they tend to grow from the ends only.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting thread, I like the experimental approach.

Have you considered making a write up of some of the conclusions of your experiments? I'm sure it would would interest a lot of people on here.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I like the experimental approach.

Have you considered making a write up of some of the conclusions of your experiments? I'm sure it would would interest a lot of people on here.
I have considered it! But that requires a structured approach, which takes some time. The fungal inoculation will eventually get a good write up this repotting season. I can do this on multiple plants, with very little risk.
But since there's so much variation in my stock, and I don't have a lot of clones, I believe that most of my findings cannot be proven to be universally effective.

I'm weary of making claims that people might use as a foundation. I don't want to be one of those guys that threw some information out there that might be misinterpreted.

I want to investigate budding behavior in pines for instance, and how to influence them with external hormone applications. But there's two major limitations: All of my pines come from a different genetic background, and if I screw up I might kill or damage a large portion of my plants. Best I can do is case studies. But this poses another issue; without a control plant, every effect can be dismissed because it might just be natural behavior instead.

I'm still considering it though! I might cook up some fun stuff this year.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Isn't this the norm for bonsai, especially on internet boards?
Nobody deals with data, just anecdotes.
It absolutely is. That's why I try to quote and dote and don't data mostly. Unless I'm absolutely sure and willing to back it up.
The internet doesn't forget!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You've mentioned that Vulkastrat has been working great for you, but that you do have to water a lot. I'd prefer to have a little more flexibility in the summer, so I'd like to add something to the Vulkastrat so the soil retains more water.

Pine bark is one way you've said, but I have a hard time sourcing the finer stuff and smaller quantities. Does the stuff used for reptile cages work (e.g. Repti Bark)? Or are there any alternatives to pine bark?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You've mentioned that Vulkastrat has been working great for you, but that you do have to water a lot. I'd prefer to have a little more flexibility in the summer, so I'd like to add something to the Vulkastrat so the soil retains more water.

Pine bark is one way you've said, but I have a hard time sourcing the finer stuff and smaller quantities. Does the stuff used for reptile cages work (e.g. Repti Bark)? Or are there any alternatives to pine bark?
You could try akadama. I prefer not to, because the amount of freeze-thaw cycles we have in winter. It breaks the akadama down in a year, maybe two.
Reptibark is sterilized with gamma radiation, and it's expensive because of that. It also lost most of the fun properties because it was heated (smells very different compared to fresh bark).
I found a bag of pine bark fines in a german hardware/gardening store. About 8 euros for 40 litres.
I don't know how far from the border you are, but for cheap pottery and stuff like pine bark, Germany is worth a visit.
If all else fails, I can always send you a small 3L ziplock bag for free, but the shipping costs will be on your account.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a bag of pine bark fines in a german hardware/gardening store.
This is a little dearer, but it is what I get nearby, as said above, in german hardware store:

1643095279063.png

In the Netherlands, this could be an option:
Seems like an autotranslate thingy there 🤣
1643095409830.png

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Wires_Guy_wires
Too far from the border unfortunately. Thanks for the offer, that's very kind. I'll keep looking for now.

In the Netherlands, this could be an option:
Unfortunately it has €12 shipping to The Netherlands. Otherwise it would have been a good option.

What about turface? Very easy to get around here and cheap as well. I see it's being used quite a lot but at the same time a big topic of debate. Might have to make a separate topic on this.. Do you think it could work mixed with Vulkastrat?

Edit: It's all for pine pre-bonsai/sapplings btw.

Last edited:

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've been working with plants for over 10 years now, both as a hobby and since some 5 years as a professional (in the laboratory).
Most plants I have come from that hobby, others I have acquired in the past two years for the purpose of bonsai. But I'm far from calling my trees bonsai. I'm just Teun de tuinier for now ;-)
I had to tell my girlfriend she needs to take my wallet before we enter garden centres, because the collection is growing too fast. But as a gardener with some experience, I know that half of them aren't going to make it unless I put them in the ground. That's why I bought most things in pairs.

Except for mugos. I have 6 of those. And kind of big ones too!
Before the blisters popped on my index fingers and thumbs (thanks watering systems, you're suuuuch a breeze to put together! /sarcasm-off) I did this some serious abuse to one:

View attachment 188144
But now, since I'm having a bunch of opens wounds (and I still need to handle scalpels and tweezers on monday!) I had to stop prematurely. The back center branch will be the new apex, and it will move some more to the left.
Spring isn't the best time for mugo wiring and trimming, but since this was a free one, and a graft, I decided this is going to be my learning tree. I'm saving the best one for when I have learned a bit more about how they respond.
Lots of potential in this one. Hard to find these in my area. I wish folks carried them here.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires
Too far from the border unfortunately. Thanks for the offer, that's very kind. I'll keep looking for now.

Unfortunately it has €12 shipping to The Netherlands. Otherwise it would have been a good option.

What about turface? Very easy to get around here and cheap as well. I see it's being used quite a lot but at the same time a big topic of debate. Might have to make a separate topic on this.. Do you think it could work mixed with Vulkastrat?

Edit: It's all for pine pre-bonsai/sapplings btw.
What is your worry exactly? Because I work 8-10 hours a day and spend around 12 hours away from home. Vulkastrat needs daily watering, but it'll hold water for most of the day. Especially if you're dumping organic fertilizer on there.

DCM seems to have bark flakes at 5-15mm. So after a little sifting or shaking, you'll have enough for a year or two.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh yes Ive seen them in nurserys, very cool species with tiny leaves and flowers!!
Dude, you have the perfect climate for them!
If you can, grow them!
Do you know what the fruits cost in a wholesale market? About 2-4 euros a piece. They say money doesn't grow on trees, but finger limes are close.. Dang!
Right now, the only reliable source is Australia. If you can sell them from Spain, shipping costs go down, freshness goes up, price stays the same, more profit for you.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is your worry exactly? Because I work 8-10 hours a day and spend around 12 hours away from home. Vulkastrat needs daily watering, but it'll hold water for most of the day. Especially if you're dumping organic fertilizer on there.

DCM seems to have bark flakes at 5-15mm. So after a little sifting or shaking, you'll have enough for a year or two.

Tbh I thought you watered more often. Once a day would be fine. But I will be using terracotta pots, which means the soil will dry a little quicker. Terracotta looks better than the black plastic pots, which also helps with the amount of plants my girlfriend can tolerate on our balcony :). Ideally though I'd be able to stay away from home for a full 24 hours in summer, on the rare occassion, without coming back to a bunch of dead plants. More ideally I could get away with not watering for a weekend, but I expect that to be unrealistic, I'd have to look into some other solution for that.

The DCM stuff looks like a good option. How much in ratio to vulakstrat do you think I should use?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Dude, you have the perfect climate for them!
If you can, grow them!
Do you know what the fruits cost in a wholesale market? About 2-4 euros a piece. They say money doesn't grow on trees, but finger limes are close.. Dang!
Right now, the only reliable source is Australia. If you can sell them from Spain, shipping costs go down, freshness goes up, price stays the same, more profit for you.
I search about them, they are hard to propagate by cuttings or seed, usually they are propagated by grafting

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But I will be using terracotta pots, which means the soil will dry a little quicker.
Not sure this is true, terracotta holds moisture longer than regular bonsai pots or plastic containers.
For longer periods of time between watering change the position of your plants to avoid direct sun or wind exposure for the weekend.
Another suggestion would be to add some shredded sphagnum moss to the surface for a few days or so to extend the watering times.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I search about them, they are hard to propagate by cuttings or seed, usually they are propagated by grafting
Mine are from seed, at a 75% germination rate and the cuttings do pretty well actually! Where are you reading this?

Top Bottom