Ha Ha! Mugo octopus

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Got the itch to look at this guy I purchased last fall-Minnesota bonsai Society Silent auction.
loads of dead lower branches.5AB3BD66-D705-44D5-B315-F873117CACC3.jpegE94D4909-474D-41F7-98B8-4C8A4E550C3C.jpeg
Cleaned the dead off. Man this thing is ugly!
Or beautiful.

83F7D153-6F44-426B-AF4F-F51D7D230BFB.jpeg7643DA27-7685-4DB4-9825-801BD27CF8AC.jpegF03799A8-3470-4C8E-BB3D-9E5A234D5D3A.jpeg

basically one big knuckle of a tree.

Any suggestions aside from “stick it in the ground?”
I probably will just plant it out front of the house.
2AEDF613-A2DA-46F0-9810-AA7E993EAA1D.jpeg51EDED79-76E3-4E8E-B19B-E1D4E78E01BB.jpeg
Some DE and perlite for contrast.
Any feedback much appreciated!

Attachments

• 13416BEE-B4A3-4F01-9E16-B19AF0004F6C.jpeg
    13416BEE-B4A3-4F01-9E16-B19AF0004F6C.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4879E4AF-9261-4A8C-9710-55B5FF7AF2D8.jpeg
    4879E4AF-9261-4A8C-9710-55B5FF7AF2D8.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 7

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok number one, this tree is NOT healthy. You found a lot of dead branches, most of the needles do not look good.....

Did you just repot it?

If you do decide to try to make a bonsai out of it, you need to work on getting it healthy FIRST.
Sick/weak trees wont handle work on them well and it might kill them.

This is very complicated and difficult material and honestly Im not sure its worth trying to make a bonsai out of it.
Raft/clump is probably your best option but even your main trunk ends up in an octopus that will need to be reduced and then try and grow one of the tiny branches into a convincing main trunk. Its not impossible but it will take a very very long time.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Octopus for sure. Possibly a clump style tree? Possibly Windswept? Being maverick might consider Literati considering little low secondary branching. Strong suspicion hang dog look of tree due to burial under snow all Winter:confused:? Maybe not so unhealthy as was mentioned;).

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ok number one, this tree is NOT healthy. You found a lot of dead branches, most of the needles do not look good.....

Did you just repot it?

If you do decide to try to make a bonsai out of it, you need to work on getting it healthy FIRST.
Sick/weak trees wont handle work on them well and it might kill them.

This is very complicated and difficult material and honestly Im not sure its worth trying to make a bonsai out of it.
Raft/clump is probably your best option but even your main trunk ends up in an octopus that will need to be reduced and then try and grow one of the tiny branches into a convincing main trunk. Its not impossible but it will take a very very long time.

thank you. Just cemented my initial feeling of just planting it in the ground.

I didn’t repot this. Looks to be in original nursery container and was probably neglected.
felt bad for it last fall and bought it. 10$

Has been out in snow but only buried around pot all winter

That said, when I do plant this, it sounds like I should wait?
Maybe this summer during the Mugo Solstice?
Any thoughts on returning health to this creature?
Thank you.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Octopus for sure. Possibly a clump style tree? Possibly Windswept? Being maverick might consider Literati considering little low secondary branching. Strong suspicion hang dog look of tree due to burial under snow all Winter:confused:? Maybe not so unhealthy as was mentioned;).
Thanks for the feed back!
I’ve decided this thing is going out in the front yard and perhaps will live a happy and healthier life there.
Now I’ll just refer back to Vance’s guide to -how not to kill Mugo- and give a proper transplant when its the right time.

Btw, what’s hang dog?
😄

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thank you. Just cemented my initial feeling of just planting it in the ground.

I didn’t repot this. Looks to be in original nursery container and was probably neglected.
felt bad for it last fall and bought it. 10$

Has been out in snow but only buried around pot all winter

That said, when I do plant this, it sounds like I should wait?
Maybe this summer during the Mugo Solstice?
Any thoughts on returning health to this creature?
Thank you.

Reason I asked if it had been repotted is the top of the soil changed from the potted mix to what looks like pumice.

Taking your location into account, I would see what it looks like in early to mid May. If the buds start swelling and looking like its trying to survive, I would dig a hole that will fit the whole root ball in and just put it down into the hole without disturbing the roots more than just maybe raking the edges of it a little bit. If there is a lot of soil and no roots on the bottom of the pot, you can rake away that soil to make it easier to plant. Through the summer, make sure it gets enough water.

From now until early May, kleep it protected as much as you can. Dont let it sit out in the sun if you get a really warm day. If the needles are as compromised as they look to me, that wont help it. A little morning sun is good. Keep it from freezing at this point especially if its thawed out now. If you put it in a garage or shed, keep an eye on the moisture level of the pot. Deeper in the pot will stay wetter for longer than the top so watch how much and when you water it.

If it survives, it will make a nice lawn tree for sure

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Reason I asked if it had been repotted is the top of the soil changed from the potted mix to what looks like pumice.

Taking your location into account, I would see what it looks like in early to mid May. If the buds start swelling and looking like its trying to survive, I would dig a hole that will fit the whole root ball in and just put it down into the hole without disturbing the roots more than just maybe raking the edges of it a little bit. If there is a lot of soil and no roots on the bottom of the pot, you can rake away that soil to make it easier to plant. Through the summer, make sure it gets enough water.

From now until early May, kleep it protected as much as you can. Dont let it sit out in the sun if you get a really warm day. If the needles are as compromised as they look to me, that wont help it. A little morning sun is good. Keep it from freezing at this point especially if its thawed out now. If you put it in a garage or shed, keep an eye on the moisture level of the pot. Deeper in the pot will stay wetter for longer than the top so watch how much and when you water it.

If it survives, it will make a nice lawn tree for sure
Thanks for this. What I needed to know!👍

Top Bottom