Hackberry leafloss seems soon

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why is my Hackberry losing its leaves like this so soon they are as yellowish color but not quite a vibrant ball display and they are not dried out for withered but they pop off with ease

Attachments

• 20211014_174924.jpg
    20211014_174924.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 45

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay thank you it's just not very cold here and my Hackberry reference in the yard is still dark green but then again what is in the ground doesn't exactly respond the same as what is in a small pot just wanted some reference with other owners

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've recently read that trees that are malnourished will drop leaves earlier than others. I just read this so do your own research but it doesn't sound incorrect. my hackberry is recently collected so I'm not paying much mind to it, but I noticed the hackberries at the nursery were the first to trun this year

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've recently read that trees that are malnourished will drop leaves earlier than others. I just read this so do your own research but it doesn't sound incorrect. my hackberry is recently collected so I'm not paying much mind to it, but I noticed the hackberries at the nursery were the first to trun this year
Hmm I think this depends on the species a whole lot. A malnourished tree could also drop its foliage later to get the last bits of energy from them. As an investment for the future.
In a sense, it could go both ways; sucking the leafs dry for nutrients and store those nutes to be safe, or keeping them longer to get more out of them to be safe. That's timing wise.
The rate at which they drop seems to be faster for malnourished plants. Their energy cycles are generally shorter (fast and short) and they're much more dependent on recycling than other plants.

I did notice that heavily infected or branches with inhibited sap flow start fall a month before the rest does.

I believe there is no definitive answer that applies to all plants equally in this case. But still a fun thing to discuss!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hmm I think this depends on the species a whole lot. A malnourished tree could also drop its foliage later to get the last bits of energy from them. As an investment for the future.
In a sense, it could go both ways; sucking the leafs dry for nutrients and store those nutes to be safe, or keeping them longer to get more out of them to be safe. That's timing wise.
The rate at which they drop seems to be faster for malnourished plants. Their energy cycles are generally shorter (fast and short) and they're much more dependent on recycling than other plants.

I did notice that heavily infected or branches with inhibited sap flow start fall a month before the rest does.

I believe there is no definitive answer that applies to all plants equally in this case. But still a fun thing to discuss!
Definitely noticed that infected trees (fungal anyway) all start leaf drop here in september where as most trees will begin losing leaves in october. And actually my backyard is so warm and sunny I don't see peak color on my bonsais til early November. But that's my tiny micro biome. Usually take a full 365 days in my yard until my trees are on the same page, as i said the hackberry is a newbie in the yard

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What’s odd is the Chinese pistache at the local library are all red already. Most other same trees are still their dark green color or barely turning red. Many others like ash and mulberry are JUST starting to yellow

Attachments

• 9E49643C-3637-4B7E-8AE3-3EE6B9FC4C12.jpeg
    9E49643C-3637-4B7E-8AE3-3EE6B9FC4C12.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 28

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Chinese Hackberries are just turning color right now.

Since I’m volunteering today I thought I’d include one of these.

Here’s todays image of the Museum’s Ben Oki Chinese Hackberry.

Big storm coming, leaves won’t last long!

Cheers
DSD sends
FE2CA574-A3EB-486C-B3E4-4CB360E2B4C5.jpeg

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

SinceIm volunteering today I thought I’d include one of these.

Cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 404015
Gorgeous!!!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Since I’m volunteering today I thought I’d include one of these.

Cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 404015

Hey what's that photo behind your tree? Looks like a WWI battlefield. It really works with the yellow foliage.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, it’s part of our exhibit this year World War Bonsai.

Been actually was in Hiroshima, but went fishing the day the bomb hit. Lucky for the Bonsai world!

Best
DSD sends

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep, it’s part of our exhibit this year World War Bonsai.

Been actually was in Hiroshima, but went fishing the day the bomb hit. Lucky for the Bonsai world!

Best
DSD sends
I wonder if I can just go fishing when the Chinese bomb us?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh I hope that doesn’t happen

Cuz what goes around will come around!

DSD sends

Top Bottom