Hackberry? Not sure

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know... Shot in the dark: native persimmon, Diospyros virginiana?

Alternate leaf arrangement, has corky/blocky bark, and is native to South East PA.

Some pictures online of persimmon's bark look similar to your picture, but sugarberry still does look most similar.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know... Shot in the dark: native persimmon, Diospyros virginiana?

Alternate leaf arrangement, has corky/blocky bark, and is native to South East PA.

Some pictures online of persimmon's bark look similar to your picture, but sugarberry still does look most similar.
I wish it was a persimmon, but I don’t think the bark matches. There is one persimmon near me, and it is a graft- the bark looks to be a much heavier, large, almost blocky scaly shape, and doesn’t look like this one. Plus, this tree didn’t really have a deep taproot- lots of finer roots very close to the base, whereas I’ve heard persimmon are more prone to throwing a large taproot

6C8FE2F6-8CAF-40A9-BBED-BCFA35F532CB.jpeg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think this is "sugarberry" Celtis laevigata.
I think it is the other native hackberry, Celtis occidentalis.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a persimmon, sorry I didn't see the twig shot. It's celtis occidentalis with exceptionally nice bark.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
leaves will confirm it, if you don't want to take my word for it. They have a very unique "trident vein" in an otherwise plain leaf leathery leaf. They tend to get galls on the twigs which is how I identify them from far away. And the leaves almost always develop little galls on the under side, forget what they're called but they are inhabited by some kind of harmless bug.

*edit, this could have been one post. apologies, I kept thinking of things to say....

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
leaves will confirm it, if you don't want to take my word for it. They have a very unique "trident vein" in an otherwise plain leaf leathery leaf. They tend to get galls on the twigs which is how I identify them from far away. And the leaves almost always develop little galls on the under side, forget what they're called but they are inhabited by some kind of harmless bug.

*edit, this could have been one post. apologies, I kept thinking of things to say....
Outstanding, thank you for the confirmation! I’ll start a thread next year after it recovers

Top Bottom