Hackberry

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually doing good bonsai or doing proper maintenance to continue good trees is what 'isn't your cup of tea'. The real facts are you are too lazy or have too many BS excuses or use the #1 cop-out garbage line in bonsai 'I like it like that'. Which ALL translate to I can't do it or I'm too inept. You're not making good trees. You are ruining material.
You were going to show the world some examples of your superior trees? I can hardly contain myself, waiting... You might start with a Fig, just to keep it apples to apples, or not.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Southern Live oak are repeatedly broken, and busted to regrow again after hurricanes. Oak is also prone to attract lightning strike which also kill off branches and explode portion of their trunk. In other words, nature does the chopping over centuries...
I don't see any chop scars in the picture. Do you? Are you going to answer the question, or not? Draw some chop lines on the photo so we can see what you would do to make the tree superior. Pretend it's mine...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see any chop scars in the picture. Do you? Are you going to answer the question, or not? Draw some chop lines on the photo so we can see what you would do to make the tree superior. Pretend it's mine...

I don't know WTF you're talking about here. The oak or the hackberry for Christsakes...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Biggest challenge on a Hackberry.
Healing large wounds.

Tree is worldwide, and a gift to Bonsai.
Premium grade.
Good Day
Anthony

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@rockm The Oak. "So for me this is a classic example of a tree that hasn't been maintained properly. The tree has no foliage in close and has long leggy branching with no interior ramification." Not every tree needs to be some single design. If fact, we go waaay out of our way to create our own special designs, to the best of our abilities. We'd all like to have John Naka trees, but we're not him. Your above critique of my tree could also be applied to the real Oak. Your chop lines on my tree were pedestrian, at best, and to your taste, such as it is. It's not your tree. Show me some of your finished trees reflective of your methods. And I'll tell you what's wrong with them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm The Oak. "So for me this is a classic example of a tree that hasn't been maintained properly. The tree has no foliage in close and has long leggy branching with no interior ramification." Not every tree needs to be some single design. If fact, we go waaay out of our way to create our own special designs, to the best of our abilities. We'd all like to have John Naka trees, but we're not him. Your above critique of my tree could also be applied to the real Oak. Your chop lines on my tree were pedestrian, at best, and to your taste, such as it is. It's not your tree. Show me some of your finished trees reflective of your methods. And I'll tell you what's wrong with them.
The oak you pictured has a squat trunk, most likely from being broken. It is what you have described as a "tater" The "hasn't been maintained properly" stuff IS NOT my writing...

FWIW, I am completely familiar (up close and personal--since I have lived in Southern Live oak country) with that "style" of bonsai.

Kingsville boxwood in "Live oak" style I've been working on for seven or eight years now:

kingsville.jpgkingsville2.jpg

Feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not bad. Could be less top-heavy and wild; maybe more well-defined, flowing canopy of several merged, but distinct clouds. The stub looks like a stub rather than an artifact of great age. Nice Kingsville branches.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not bad. Could be less top-heavy and wild; maybe more well-defined, flowing canopy of several merged, but distinct clouds. The stub looks like a stub rather than an artifact of great age. Nice Kingsville branches.

Thanks. I haven't thinned it yet this spring. Thinning Kingsville growth is tedious and takes alot of time...The stub is in the process of drying out. I will hollow it with a dremel down the road. Dead limb stubs are pretty common on live oaks, BTW...and many oaks in east Texas, where I'm taking the design cues from--since I have family down there and visit often--photo is my parents' front yard..frontyard.jpg.

Top Bottom