Had my trees stolen last weekend.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw a post on FB about this and a spokesman for the MN club detailed how valuable the trees are. That makes the situation worse.

I try not to wish bad things on people. Some folks make it hard.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small town means small time thievery. Can't ever tell why people steal bonsai. I'd bet these idiots see something they can sell quickly for a few bucks. They're opportunistic thieves, which are a distinct category of bonsai thieves, as opposed to those who target certain trees.

Cragislist, yard sales and farm markets, or just personal sales to people they know are the likely fate of these. Not much you can do to get them back. I'd file a police report just for the record. If you still have receipts for them and they total more than $1000 (things add up, pots included also), the theft could be a felony. Below that, it's probably only petty theft. They know you grow bonsai. You replace these, they could be back for more.

FWIW, I would relocate all your trees to the backyard (preferably a fenced backyard). That mostly eliminates these kinds of "look at those, let's come back tonight and take them" kinds of thefts.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I saw a post on FB about this and a spokesman for the MN club detailed how valuable the trees are. That makes the situation worse.

I try not to wish bad things on people. Some folks make it hard.
And they will be "over-valued" which just makes things worse luring bad guys to action. On the plus side, that will make the trees harder to sell lingering longer in the marketplace, which is us insiders anyway.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nicholas Ehlers, the director of outreach for the Minnesota Bonsai Society, says that while a new plant from a nursery could cost between $10 to $50, an exhibit quality tree, like the ones on display at Como Zoo and Conservatory, could cost hundreds or thousands.

I'd be ok with some concession toward their value with a strong assertion that they are ONLY valuable to an incredibly small close-knit subset of the population who likely have already been notified as to the theft with pictures are circulating among that group of people. Nothing good comes from discussing "thousands" with the general public.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
they tripped over the lawnmower??? good

couldnt help but pick up on that...grimy lawyers, theyll want to know about that if the bum got injured
on your property

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I'd be ok with some concession toward their value with a strong assertion that they are ONLY valuable to an incredibly small close-knit subset of the population who likely have already been notified as to the theft with pictures are circulating among that group of people. Nothing good comes from discussing "thousands" with the general public.
Good for you in getting media coverage and it's spot on. It avoids statements of the value of stolen trees that can actually drive more thefts. I cringe when I see newspaper stories about bonsai thefts that quote prices in the "hundreds or thousands of dollars" for the stolen tree(s). The story qualifies that with "exhibit quality trees"

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yeah, it sucks. I think I’ve given Up on finding the trees, but as long as people are aware it helps me a bit. I just don’t want anyone else to go through this.
I would go turn those videos into the police, looks like you have some decent face shots. Also Sounds like the trees that were stolen from you were worth some decent cash, that's a serious offence if they are found. Find those people and make them pay for stealing trees.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rots a ruck with the police who will only have you fill out a report that may or may not be useful if home owners insurance has a low enough deduction to pay anything. You need to have receipts and some number of valuations by credible sources which is problematic, too. The insurance agent will laugh at you for having them in the front yard which is most certainly contributory, and they are only insured anyway if they are listed as specific insured property, same as diamonds and expensive art. Only property ordinarily found in/at a home is insured, generally.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Wait … why are your trees in your front yard . Yeah sure it’s still stealing and everything but that isn’t a good idea for having prized trees in the front yard

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Rots a ruck with the police who will only have you fill out a report that may or may not be useful if home owners insurance has a low enough deduction to pay anything. You need to have receipts and some number of valuations by credible sources which is problematic, too. The insurance agent will laugh at you for having them in the front yard which is most certainly contributory, and they are only insured anyway if they are listed as specific insured property, same as diamonds and expensive art. Only property ordinarily found in/at a home is insured, generally.
You’re WILD today, bud. ;)

1629904707098.png

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had a 15HP boat engine stolen from my boat parked in my driveway. The thieves had cased it out beforehand and knew exactly which tools the needed to remove it. They stole it during a thunderstorm to muffle any noise.

Also had a pile of Belgian block stolen from the front yard once.

It sucks, you feel so violated.

This is why my trees are locked behind a gate now and in a yard patrolled by my dogs.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've had a 15HP boat engine stolen from my boat parked in my driveway. The thieves had cased it out beforehand and knew exactly which tools the needed to remove it. They stole it during a thunderstorm to muffle any noise.

Also had a pile of Belgian block stolen from the front yard once.

It sucks, you feel so violated.

This is why my trees are locked behind a gate now and in a yard patrolled by my dogs.
Like caPe cod. Lotta neck scratches. Pill popping , heroin on long island

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Damn dude sorry to hear , hope you can get them back but good thing you atleast have a camera. I’d move them in the back as others have stated…could this be included for home owners insurance for personal belonging value? Could chain them to the bench , put up a trip wire that would deploy an alarm if they crossed the boundary when you arm it.

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
I
Damn dude sorry to hear , hope you can get them back but good thing you atleast have a camera. I’d move them in the back as others have stated…could this be included for home owners insurance for personal belonging value? Could chain them to the bench , put up a trip wire that would deploy an alarm if they crossed the boundary when you arm it.
had them strapped with a metal band. Some just better than others I guess:-/

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
How would they know to bring something that would cut through a metal band? There's something odd about how they seemed to know that.

If they'd been somewhere and seen bonsai trees priced at a thousand dollars it would make them think of yours. Someone should be able to recognize them from the video.

When my husband and I bought our first house it was designed with large expensive planted pots in the front yerd and nice furniture on the front porch. Someone stole all the pots with plants in them and the furniture from the porch. We filed a claim with State Farm and they paid, so I'm hoping your insurance will pay.

We 'knew' it was a friend of someone in the neighborhood but we couldn't prove anything. I later met a man and he had plants stolen. He said he put razor blades on the bottoms of the pots in case they came back.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How would they know to bring something that would cut through a metal band? There's something odd about how they seemed to know that.

If they'd been somewhere and seen bonsai trees priced at a thousand dollars it would make them think of yours. Someone should be able to recognize them from the video.

When my husband and I bought our first house it was designed with large expensive planted pots in the front yerd and nice furniture on the front porch. Someone stole all the pots with plants in them and the furniture from the porch. We filed a claim with State Farm and they paid, so I'm hoping your insurance will pay.

We 'knew' it was a friend of someone in the neighborhood but we couldn't prove anything. I later met a man and he had plants stolen. He said he put razor blades on the bottoms of the pots in case they came back.
The article said there was a preliminary theft at a different date. Then again that might have prompted owner to strap down. Also thieves foolishly drive around w boxcutters and tools according to the show cops

Top Bottom