Hairbrained winter upgrade?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@River's Edge - Nice setup! I don't really do cuttings much except for some junipers, which I usually start in late spring, so they just stay outside. Though, this year I plan on try to ng some starts inside totes for better humidity, many dried out on me this year.

We have low temperatures through the weekend here, so my tropicals had to come in. Since I'm also off for the day, I figured it's a great time for a dry run and to make sure nothing melts after several hours. 😁 The grow box is pretty packed right now, but I hope to get rid of most if not all of my Willow leaf ficus at an upcoming club auction. The species just doesn't bring me joy. That should clear up some space for my scheffelera and tiger bark ficus in the box.

IMG_20191012_074148.jpg

IMG_20191012_074155.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge - Nice setup! I don't really do cuttings much except for some junipers, which I usually start in late spring, so they just stay outside. Though, this year I plan on try to ng some starts inside totes for better humidity, many dried out on me this year.

We have low temperatures through the weekend here, so my tropicals had to come in. Since I'm also off for the day, I figured it's a great time for a dry run and to make sure nothing melts after several hours. 😁 The grow box is pretty packed right now, but I hope to get rid of most if not all of my Willow leaf ficus at an upcoming club auction. The species just doesn't bring me joy. That should clear up some space for my scheffelera and tiger bark ficus in the box.

View attachment 266369

View attachment 266370
Willow leaf ficus can look amazing in larger format. I also find that certain species capture my imagination more than others. I don't do tropical at all actually. Closest i come to tree's that need some winter protection is are black persimmon. I am fortunate to live in a fairly mild climate. The cuttings are important to me for cultivars that are difficult and costly to obtain otherwise. For example trees that can no longer be imported to Canada and must be propagated from the few remaining. Also it is the only way to ensure that you are getting the cultivar you want. They are so often mislabeled!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, it has been about a month since nice I brought in my tropicals under this setup. My original goal was to see better growth instead of stasis and aerial roots. So far, so good. All of them are putting on new growth under the T5s, but I am not running a humidifier and as the days grow colder and my heat runs more, it is getting down to 50% humidity some days, even when I mist mornings and evenings My wife has decided she wants new room humidifiers for the bedroom and music studio, so I may be getting a hand me down I can convert to pump some mist into this setup.

I have everything out today to do my weekly cleaning and to give the trees a good soak.

IMG_20191109_113658.jpg

If I made this setup again, I'd find something better than the tape I used. It's already peeling back and I'm sure will result in fungal growth/getting pretty nasty. I'm lazy though, so I'm going to let it ride for now.

IMG_20191109_113702.jpg

The fan was a good choice. It's on its own timer and runs a few times a day. The results are a reduction in humidity, but I think the new and moving air is healthy. Never smells stagnant in there, or terribly musty.

IMG_20191109_113710.jpg

I zip tied a rack in one of the upper corners. Has been usefully for setting cuttings and it's where my thermometer/hydrometer lives.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now for some trees!

These Willow leaf ficus came straight in from outside in full sun. I didn't defoliate and they are loving the new environment. Last year by this time they were yellow and defoliated.

IMG_20191109_114336.jpg

Keep meaning to sell these little guys on 99c auction. Ah well, maybe next year.

IMG_20191109_113458.jpg

This diva goes full on defoliation and pouts all winter as the norm. Look at that happy canopy!

IMG_20191109_113504.jpg

I had talked about aerial roots. I see nothing on the branches or trunks for any of my trees, but they are busting root mass out of and across the topsoil of their pots!

IMG_20191109_113140.jpg

This scheflerra was half dead when I brought it in. Very loose in the pot with zero root mass.

IMG_20191109_113144.jpg

Look at that root growth!

IMG_20191109_113149.jpg

Wish it would push some of this out further up, but I'm really happy with the health of this tree! Will likely become a club raffle or give away tree, but I enjoy the occasional Wal Mart rescue and with time I think this will make an interesting clump.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This little Scheflerra has sentimental value. I picked it up from Fuku bonsai in Hawaii during a fantastic vacation with the wife last year (she has awesome parents who wanted to take us) this guy sailed on a boat around the islands, flew with me for 12 hours on a plane, and survived an 8 hour wait on lost baggage. Doing great today.

IMG_20191109_112953.jpg

Thought he could use a haircut now that I'm looking.

IMG_20191109_113109.jpg

Here is another one from Fuku. Like a sane person I just let them ship this one to me.

IMG_20191109_113319.jpg

Look at the rootiness in that pot!

IMG_20191109_113325.jpg

IMG_20191109_113332.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finally, for the unlucky guys that had no room in the setup. Both of these ficus did great inside last year with lower light. The larger of the two got thin, but still looks pretty good.

IMG_20191109_113552.jpg

The smaller, despite doing great last year under lower light, may have gotten too dry. For some reason I had a few days just after bringing everything in that it felt like more chore than enjoyment and I didn't check daily for about 72 hours. This one lives in the setup now and maybe might come back? Been fully bare for about a week and a half now.
IMG_20191109_112930.jpg

And here is everyone back inside, crowded but happy.
IMG_20191109_114733.jpg

IMG_20191109_114945.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess I'm the only one concerned with fungal issues?

Wish you the best. My environment isn't enclosed. I've had significant growth on my ficus last winter. This ficus has only had one year in my care...in NE Ohio.
Screenshot_20191110-064114.png

Screenshot_20191110-064142.png

My winter set up. Fireplace screen is to keep my dog from sunning himself.
IMG_20191009_094450945.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have had some success with this set up. I use it primarily for cutting propogation out of season or for more difficult cuttings. ( experimental fun)
The basic frame is constructed of wood, enclosed with clear vapour barrier plastic. Front piece is a flap! Houses a 2 by 4 heat mat with controller! Old computer fan mounted up high inside! Placed on top LED light units. Two daylight spectrum ( one each side) . Center unit is growth spectrum! Home Depot purchases!
Current cuttings include variety of quince, prunus ume, white pine, azalea, seiju elm and copper beech.
Perhaps something like this may work! I open the unit for 15 minutes per day and operate the fan on a timer for 10 minutes twice per day. The heat mat retains a bottom heat in the neighborhood of 72-74 degree's F.
I mist the plants with OSOYOUNG's famous hydrogen peroxide once or twice a day as the opportunity presents itself!
Typically the plants dry off from the misting fairly quickly but humidity level remain high and watering is infrequent. ( every third or fourth day).
Peroxide to battle fungal issues I presume? 😎

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Roots I'm getting on the Bougainvillea...but I concur... I don't have Arial roots growing. That said...I hate having my trees close together. Again fear of fungal. I would definitely do the peroxide treatment that was mentioned above. If you should see fungal...I might be apt to thin some of the trees out of the tote for another year. So they have good ventilation around them.
IMG_20191106_075440757.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess I'm the only one concerned with fungal issues?

So far, so good. I open it up and remove them and clean out the area weekly. Plus that fan moves a lot of air through it several times a day. Keeping my eye out though, I'll try to be on top of anything before it gets a foothold. I'm seeing much more advanced root growth and canopy growth on the ones inside the box over the ones I'm keeping outside though, under the same lighting.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps a bed of sphagnum in the bottom of the box could also be an antibacterial anti-fungal preventative measure?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Peroxide to battle fungal issues I presume? 😎
Correct. I use i tablespoon hydrogen peroxide per 500 ml spray bottle! Basically mist the cuttings and also use the solution to maintain moisture levels in the substrate. Here is a picture updating the last image as of today. I have potted up some of the faster developing cuttings. Faster response from Azalea, Quince, Ume ( Kobai ). The only fertiliser i use in the cutting flats is weak fish emulsion. ( Alaska Brand ) Begin use after signs new growth is apparent!

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 8

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So far, so good. I open it up and remove them and clean out the area weekly. Plus that fan moves a lot of air through it several times a day. Keeping my eye out though, I'll try to be on top of anything before it gets a foothold. I'm seeing much more advanced root growth and canopy growth on the ones inside the box over the ones I'm keeping outside though, under the same lighting.

High humidity for sure is your friend for now...
I'm seeing root growth out the bottom of the pots, and foliage growth. But I'm sure not as well as you.

To be honest...Redwood Ryan, was why I held off on ficus so long. He struggled with fungal and pests galore. To the point he sold his collection many times over. So high humidity...scares me...

It's also why my husband scratches his head when I could add more to my collection and I say no more for the cold greenhouse. I want space among my trees. To hopefully combat issues. By good airflow around each tree. Which I currently have.

I am curious what fungal regiment if any are you intending to incorporate while you winter in this set up? Proactive is ones best friend .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
High humidity for sure is your friend for now...
I'm seeing root growth out the bottom of the pots, and foliage growth. But I'm sure not as well as you.

To be honest...Redwood Ryan, was why I held off on ficus so long. He struggled with fungal and pests galore. To the point he sold his collection many times over. So high humidity...scares me...

It's also why my husband scratches his head when I could add more to my collection and I say no more for the cold greenhouse. I want space among my trees. To hopefully combat issues. By good airflow around each tree. Which I currently have.

I am curious what fungal regiment if any are you intending to incorporate while you winter in this set up? Proactive is ones best friend .

I'll likely start up the peroxide treatments now that I'm pumping mist in. All of these trees have also been treated with granular systimic fungicide prior to coming in. I'll likely hit the again with it next month. That being said, even with all the fungal issues I've had on my outside trees, I have yet to see issues on my tropicals

This is also a big experiment. I could very well issue warnings against this very thing come January or February haha.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll likely start up the peroxide treatments now that I'm pumping mist in. All of these trees have also been treated with granular systimic fungicide prior to coming in. I'll likely hit the again with it next month. That being said, even with all the fungal issues I've had on my outside trees, I have yet to see issues on my tropicals

This is also a big experiment. I could very well issue warnings against this very thing come January or February haha.
Tropicals are jungle trees, humid environments. If I get water on a leaf of a native deciduous I overthink it. The only thing I’ve seen ficus have here that is problematic is hard scale.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I did say I wanted roots. Starting to see aerial roots all over the Scheffleras. Not seeing much on the ficus though - everything is growing vigorously in the box though and I am having to perform maintenance such as pruning way more often than for the trees on the table outside of the container. So far so good on any fungus or bugs. The hydrogen peroxide misting combined with weekly wipe downs seems to be keeping everything stable.

IMG_20191201_143133.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, I did say I wanted roots. Starting to see aerial roots all over the Scheffleras. Not seeing much on the ficus though - everything is growing vigorously in the box though and I am having to perform maintenance such as pruning way more often than for the trees on the table outside of the container. So far so good on any fungus or bugs. The hydrogen peroxide misting combined with weekly wipe downs seems to be keeping everything stable.

View attachment 272971
Glad to hear it!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe add a layer of sphagnum moss on top? While the roots are still thin it's easy for them to dry out and can still lose them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So it's been awhile and I thought I'd update again. So far so good. I'm seeing a ton of aerial roots growth on my scheffleras. They are loving the light level and the flood of mist. My Willow leaf ficus are not putting out any aerial roots, but definitely keeping their canopies better than they did outside of the humidity box last year. Very little defoliation. My cuttings are taking off and seem to like the constant humidity. So far still zero fungal issues. Seems to be holding strong with weekly cleaning of the enclosure, occasional misting with peroxide solution, and the fan kicking on a few times a day.
IMG_20200101_093401.jpg

IMG_20200101_093324.jpg

IMG_20200101_093246.jpg

Top Bottom