Hakea drupacea 1 & 2

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So these are nothing special atm but will hopefully use this thread as a progression thread for them.
These are 2 Hakea drupacea I grew from seed I think back in 2017, they probably could be bigger by now had I been uppotting them regularly but that is also why I figure now was a good time to do something with them.
I did have a third one but it seemed to resent being wired and went downhill and I think it picked up a fungal issue which was it´s ultimate demise but these two have continued on.

With that in mind I think clip and grow might be the way forward for now which is also useful as these buggers are spikey and draw blood.

Anyway they are only little but now they have some room to grow into after todays repotting. Didn´t really reduce the roots just removed the potting soil so hopefully they will take it in their stride.

Number one.
Before repot.
IMG_9513aa.jpg

The roots.
IMG_9517aa.jpg

After with a little trim.IMG_9525aa.jpg

Number two

IMG_9514aa.jpg

IMG_9522aa.jpg

IMG_9527aa.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So these are nothing special atm but will hopefully use this thread as a progression thread for them.
These are 2 Hakea drupacea I grew from seed I think back in 2017, they probably could be bigger by now had I been uppotting them regularly but that is also why I figure now was a good time to do something with them.
I did have a third one but it seemed to resent being wired and went downhill and I think it picked up a fungal issue which was it´s ultimate demise but these two have continued on.

With that in mind I think clip and grow might be the way forward for now which is also useful as these buggers are spikey and draw blood.

Anyway they are only little but now they have some room to grow into after todays repotting. Didn´t really reduce the roots just removed the potting soil so hopefully they will take it in their stride.

Number one.
Before repot.
View attachment 326956

The roots.
View attachment 326957

After with a little trim.View attachment 326958

Number two

View attachment 326959

View attachment 326960

View attachment 326961

Looking great!

I’m very unfamiliar with this species.... I like it, though.

🤓

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Foliage almost reminds me of juniper, though I know it is not.

Do hakea develop proteoid roots?

How are proteoid roots handled for bonsai?

Do you have to use only organic fertilizers with species that make proteoid roots? Proteaceae in general? Or are commercial, chemical sourced fertilizers safe to use on Proteaceae?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looking great!

I’m very unfamiliar with this species.... I like it, though.

🤓

Cheers, Hakea are an Australian native species from the Proteaceae family. Related closely to Grevellias an same family as Banksias.

These ones need some growing still but am keen to see what comes of it. I have only seen two others as bonsai in pics before so know it's possible.

Foliage almost reminds me of juniper, though I know it is not.

Do hakea develop proteoid roots?

How are proteoid roots handled for bonsai?

Do you have to use only organic fertilizers with species that make proteoid roots? Proteaceae in general? Or are commercial, chemical sourced fertilizers safe to use on Proteaceae?

Spikey like a juniper but without the itch, I think this is juvenile foliage though. When on a larger tree/bush the foliage is more sparse and longer.

Technically they should produce proteoid roots as they are Proteaceae but I've not noticed them in these. Must mean something is being done right as my understanding is that proteoid roots tend to form when conditions are lacking so they suck everything they can for survival in harsh conditions.

If you notice that they have developed the roots then you can just remove them at repotting but if you don't know they are there that is when ferts can become an issue. Typically protea types use a low P fert which I have struggled to find here but to be honest these have had little of anything over the last couple of years, nothing chemical but have probably had a handful of compost plus whatever was in the universal potting mix.

Going forward I would prefer to use some kind of organic slow release or compost purely because I have that unless issues arise.

I suck at Proteaceae though, they die, it may be the humidity but these ones are survivor's that i think I'm comfortable with now so hopefully they kick on now.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many of our proteacea species do not thrive when humidity is high. A lot resent wet roots. There are a few species that do better than others and for me Eastern species are so much easier than the West Australian types.
Hakeas don't seem to produce proteoid roots anywhere near as much as banksia and the South African proteas but some hakeas and grevilleas can be susceptible sometimes.
Proteoid roots are a response to low P in soil. Where P is adequate these trees don't bother growing proteoid roots and can use 'normal' fertilizer.
Proteoid roots can be removed at repotting then fertilizer can be used. Plants with proteoid roots can be weaned off them by applying increasingly strong fert over a period of several months.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Many of our proteacea species do not thrive when humidity is high. A lot resent wet roots.

Yeah I'm starting to realise humidity is certainly an issue for me here with some species. Alicante runs an average humidity of over 60 percent year round and that is by the sea, we are inland a touch. There is a month in Spring and one in Autumn where I don't need to water much at all as the night humidity runs well into the 90's and soaks everything.
These drupacea don't seem to mind but they do prefer to be a touch drier I have noticed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am not familiar with the species so just looked it up. Seems like a tough one as it has naturalised in South Africa, Victoria and South Australia.
Coastal WA origins which would explain it not having too many problems with humidity.
I have a similar looking species from Tasmania - hakea megadenia - which has (mostly) managed to do OK in pots.

Top Bottom