Half an idea... looking for ideas for pad arrangement

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a common juniper I got a few years back as received...
juni 1.jpg
This is today. I'm not quite getting the branch arrangement. Anyone see what I am missing or not getting? I know styling is subjective but I'd like several small pads just can't figure out how to best arrange them.
IMG_0442 (1).jpg IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0444.jpg IMG_0445 (1).jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Common juniper is the common name for juniperus communis. This is not a communis.

As far as I understand, for good pads you spread/fan out the foliage as you did in the last picture. Try to make it flat and even for every horizontal layer. Eventually, the growth will go upwards and form pads. But since you're dealing with juvenile foliage, there's no saying on how long that would take.

You wired some branches upwards, that means that eventually, the branches originating from there will need to be wired flat again. Unless they're the apex.

There are some good juniper video's out there. Right now you've set the structure for pads to form somewhat like this (but since foliage grows outwards, they might end up shifted to the direction they're growing in):
pads1.png
If this is your chosen front, then there's an issue on the right hand side; you have to pads in each others way. Eventually one will have to go.
But working without a defined front will make things hard for you to style. I would personally even say that this tree isn't ready for styling yet because it's producing juvenile foliage only.

If this is a procumbens juniper, then you might want to tighten up the foliage first by pruning effectively during the growing season. But I don't know what kind of juniper we're talking about here.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Common juniper is the common name for juniperus communis. This is not a communis.

As far as I understand, for good pads you spread/fan out the foliage as you did in the last picture. Try to make it flat and even for every horizontal layer. Eventually, the growth will go upwards and form pads. But since you're dealing with juvenile foliage, there's no saying on how long that would take.

You wired some branches upwards, that means that eventually, the branches originating from there will need to be wired flat again. Unless they're the apex.

There are some good juniper video's out there. Right now you've set the structure for pads to form somewhat like this (but since foliage grows outwards, they might end up shifted to the direction they're growing in):
View attachment 231330
If this is your chosen front, then there's an issue on the right hand side; you have to pads in each others way. Eventually one will have to go.
But working without a defined front will make things hard for you to style. I would personally even say that this tree isn't ready for styling yet because it's producing juvenile foliage only.

If this is a procumbens juniper, then you might want to tighten up the foliage first by pruning effectively during the growing season. But I don't know what kind of juniper we're talking about here.

I should have labeled pics, would have helped in getting advise. I was guessing at the species so you may be right, Procumbens. That photo is the back as I see it. This would be the front as I was trying to set the pad locations.
IMG_0447.jpg
I started to apply wire and stood there realizing I couldn't figure out how I wanted the branches positioned. I turned the top one as the apex, Should it be on the horizontal as well and grow foliage up from it? I'll be working to get it strong for the next year or two. Do you think it's to undeveloped to set primary branches?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This trunk would look really nice with some finer foliage (shimapku) grafted on.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure about the timing in your climate, and I haven't actually done any juniper grafting yet so will leave others to advise on the timing or technical aspects. Neat trunk in any case! I'd
like to have it to work on.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now is the time of the year to do grafts, correct?
It depends on your location, and also the type of grafting you are referring to.
Approach grafting is not as time sensitive as scion grafting. For juniper i like to scion graft in early spring before the tree starts growing too fast, as it is waking up. For approach grafting almost any time during the spring, summer and fall works if aftercare is available and growing time is left in the season to help heal and then protection from frost the first winter helps.

One of the better explanations and diagrams showing pad development and varying styles is contained in David DeGroot's book "Principles of Bonsai Design". Chapter 7 on Branch structures identifies clearly several options, i would suggest you look particularily at the platform branch style for needle junipers. It is a more recent text ( 2015 ) and i feel an excellent choice for more advanced reference.

Last edited:

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be scion grafts. It having rained like 22 out of the last 30 days, it's nice to be out side planning what's next for each tree. The trees and plants are waking up for sure around here.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be sure to look at every angle. Twice! Make sure that the last part of the tail can't be bent to a different direction. Just don't fall into the Circle trap. Monotonous.

Point taken. I can look for other options to avoid that type of design. I'll be letting it gain strength this year.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It would be scion grafts. It having rained like 22 out of the last 30 days, it's nice to be out side planning what's next for each tree. The trees and plants are waking up for sure around here.
Then the first step is to locate and obtain suitable material in the right condition for scion grafting. The very best approach is to prepare well in advance by conditioning the donor tree the year before, using carefully selected side shoots of one year wood. If possible for the first attempts get an experienced person to show you step by step the actual process of preparing the scion etc.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Point taken. I can look for other options to avoid that type of design. I'll be letting it gain strength this year.
Let it gain strength and foliage would be the best step as you prepare. The stronger your tree is the better chance the grafts will take and at this point it is very. Sparse on foliage for a healthy juniper.

Top Bottom