Half Life

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an acer that is currently dense with foliage. However, 1/3 of the tree does not have foliage on it. Last year the tree was subjected to an overly extended dry spell which was entirely my fault. Also, there is a really deep scar left by the wire that was left on there too long. I took the wire out early spring and found the marking to be pretty deep. A large portion of the tree is still alive and sprouting foliage, except for the other half. The portion where the leaves aren't growing, I notice buds that emerged but never bloomed into foliage. When I water the tree, the portion where it hasn't grown leaves turn a rather red hue. From my previous experience, I've found that a dead chinese elm I used to have had the same red hue. However, that tree was a victim of a harsh winter and never grew any leaves, even into summer. I have a fearful suspicion that the limb with half of the foliage is gone...I still haven't done the bend test or the scratch test. But I will have to, to fully diagnose if the limb is dead. Is it entirely possible for the limb to spring back to life after a year or two if the two tests proves the limb is still alive? I have such tremendous guilt for allowing something like this to happen to such a healthy tree who has been with me from the beginning.

All wires have been removed to allow the tree to recover.

Picture Links:

http://i.imgur.com/wBam6Wp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CfIFNpT.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My first question is what the previous wires supposed to have done (other than damage the tree)? I see deeply damaged/scared straight branches..with new wires...but not bent???? Why???? :confused:

CfIFNpT.jpg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
To answer your question, it is extremely unlikely for those bare branches to start pushing new growth at this point...and absolutely impossible next year or after. Either the prolonged dry spell are the severe wire scars weakened that part of the tree last year and it died back this past winter.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would dare to say that those branches will bear the scars for a long time. If it were mine I would chop it and start over.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good idea taking off the wire... Also chop the dead branch and work on cutting back the others for ramification. Just let it grow back to health and don't mess with it until at least next year. Next year health, growth, and ramification should be your goal for yet another year.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first question is what the previous wires supposed to have done (other than damage the tree)? I see deeply damaged/scared straight branches..with new wires...but not bent???? Why???? :confused:

CfIFNpT.jpg

The thanks is for the picture Dario.

Top Bottom