Hamamelis x intermedia "primavera" - Is it alive?

JayZay87

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone,

It's probably been about 5+ years since I phased out of the bonsai scene, but recently along with my wife decided to get back into it, and we have been really inspired and quite addicted hunting for new specimens to try out.

So I've been scratching my head with this guy below. It's a Hamamelis x intermedia 'primavera'. I haven't experimented with any witch hazel species before and so didn't really know what to expect when I bought it. It was at our small island nursery and caught my eye, though I thought it was a little weird that it didn't have any leaves, but I bought it nonetheless. From what I've read, the primavera should have flowers present from winter to early spring before the leaves form. In the photo you can see the shriveled up remnants of flowers, as well as some semi fuzzy buds.. but no leaves.. These buds are what give me hope that it is actually okay, but this plant has basically remained unchanged since I purchased it in April. I've trimmed a few branches, some were clearly dead (dark brown centers, dry, brittle etc..), but some branches that have the buds have more of a white core. I also etched a little bit at the base of the trunk to see if it was fleshy, and it did appear to be.. what gives? Do you think this is normal, could it be a late bloomer, or could it possibly be unhealthy or dying? The only thing I have done transfer it to a slightly larger nursery pot and did some minor root pruning as well as minor branch pruning.

Any comments or words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-J

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy.

If it wasn't dead....it might be now.

Sorce

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Was it kept inside?

It’s pretty late for Hammamelis to not leaf out but stranger things have happened. Give it some water and put it in a sheltered spot, doesn’t hurt to give it a month or so more.

JayZay87

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies guys,
It has always been kept outdoors where it gets partial sun and regular watering when it needs it. I guess I'll just leave it be and look for any signs of change :p

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Today is June 14, less than 7 days to the summer equinox, very last days of spring. Something is very wrong with this plant, you should have passed it up at the nursery. If you still have your receipt I would return it and get your money back. But, if there is any green anywhere, there is a very slim chance it will sprout somewhere. But if nothing happens by middle of July, it is most definitely dead beyond hope.

You mentioned island, without a hint to your climate. Hamamelis x intermedia is a very cold tolerant witch hazel hybrid. It needs a very sharp, cold winter rest. Does best in zone 7 or colder. Too warm in winter and you can see this problem, where buds just don't seem to want to wake up. At this point in time there is nothing you can do to fix it. Putting it in a refrigerator now would make death a certainty.

This is the reason you are asked to add either an approximate location or climate zone info, when you have a question we all habitually look for your climate info before responding, at location is everything in keeping some plants healthy.

JayZay87

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Leo,

I added my location in my profile (Friday Harbor, WA - zone 8b). I happen to know the manager at the nursery so I'm going to see if there's any chance I could get a refund on the witch hazel even though I don't have a receipt anymore. I remember this was a newly brought in plant and didn't have a price tag or anything. They have a pretty good reputation at the nursery for healthy plants so I'm a little surprised with this one. Oh well this will give me an excuse to add another plant to the collection :p

-Jason

JayZay87

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a miracle! It has finally started to put out leaves! *sarcastic* :p Not quite.. I ended up being able to take it back to the nursery today and replace it with another witch hazel, not a 'primavera' this time, but a hamamelis x intermedia 'diane', which was the last witch hazel they had in inventory. I didn't know if I'd be getting anything "bonsai-able" but I'm actually kinda pleased with the base of the trunk. Anyhow I know these guys probably aren't ideal bonsai specimens because of the pretty large leaves, but hey it's something different, and I really look forward to seeing it in flower mode.

-Jason

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom