Hand-carved slab commissioned by Underhill Bonsai (Folsom, Louisiana)

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A client of Underhill Bonsai wants to create a dense forest of elms. I was asked to carve the slab for the project. The finished width is 46". Depth is 21". It's a piece of Pennsylvania Bluestone. The stone has. Good spirit and cooperated with the commissioned design.

The second photo is a HUGE two-slab planting of bald cypress. I posted a video of this last year. On Friday, I returned to the nursery for our first full styling of the piece. A video of that will come out soon.

IMG_20230122_153235961_HDR.jpgIMG_20230122_160104.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The fire gives an awesome finish to freshly worked rock. Very cool video and very cool rock work, thank you for sharing!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work Sir! that's an eye opening video, although I usually use the safety squint while grinding and wire wheeling! :D

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Facemask respirator is the first thing I think about using. Here's a video I did to give an idea of what it can take.
How do you anchor the trees to the slab if I can ask?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Bosch carbide stone bits are my choice. Slow trickle of water, let the tool do the work.
Can I assume that you are using a hammer drill with the stone bits? Thank you.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice work Sir! that's an eye opening video, although I usually use the safety squint while grinding and wire wheeling! :D
I got a MRI one time and it seems that construction workers removing metal shavings from their corneas was a common request. 😆

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah yes. The old "safety squint" approach. I feel there's a great list of safety tips for the backyard DIY guys out there.

Let's see (if we can) identify every safety measure I use:
Safety Squint: Because it's only sparks ya' Nancy.
Wet Shirt Dust Mask: Protects you from everything.
Safety Hacking Cough: If you can cough it up, you'll be fine.
Gloves are for ladies: Never trust a man without scars.
Screwdriver Voltage Check: Why go to the box twice if you can trip the breaker from here?
Only hurts the first time: Voltage, fire, shards, bricks ...
Office Chair Step Ladder: Your balance is fine because you don't drink at work.
8-Foot Ladder Walk: Rocking the ladder forward is easier than climbing down and back up.
Bricks are chocks: If you can't push a car over a brick, it won't roll on its own.
Measure once, cut once: Going to Home Depot twice is a break from your wife.
Fumes are good for you: A good high is the reward of a job well done.
Neighbor with a camera: If no one is recording your performance, you're good to continue.
One story roofs won't kill you: They give you stories to tell at Thanksgiving.
No help needed: Emergency room trips are cheaper if only one person goes.
Worried people are funny: The more they scream, the more you laugh.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Never. The carbide bits go through the stone rather easily. A hammer drill is unnecessary. Hammering into a middle portion of the slab makes me nervous.
And if you find a really hard stone slab that the carbides don’t work on there’s always diamond hole saws, no need for a hammer drill… ever.

Top Bottom