Hand-me-down JM

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This was given to me last spring. It is a mere shadow of what it used to be. The story goes it was started by Grace Suzuki's grandfather in 1924 California. It was purchased in 1968 by it's former owner (I know this for a fact), whom I got it from. Its original composition was 5 trees. I don't know the arrangement. You can see the remnants (stump between trees) of the main tree in the close up. The other trees have either died or were squashed from a large branch falling on it, which also broke the 24" shallow pot it was in. The top of the tree on the right was broken of as well, shown by the wound at the first branch. Last spring I combed out the weeds and roots and put it into the largest pot I had. I let it grow all season.

Attachments

• _MG_1490.JPG
    _MG_1490.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 496
  • _MG_1494.JPG
    _MG_1494.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 489

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This spring I removed the large first branch of the larger tree. My thought was that the wound would only make the reverse taper worse. I also removed the dead branch which was bleached as deadwood. So now I have this pair of trees........hmmm?? I've been thinking of cutting them apart and making two. The lava rock carves easily. I could change the potting angle and have many more options. However......It would ruin the original intent of it's creator. So...what do you all think....try to save the thought as best I can or move it on to something completely different??

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 430

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So...what do you all think....try to save the thought as best I can or move it on to something completely different??

Myself I would look at separating and growing both while keeping in mind "binding the 2 together down the road... Just my penny :oops:

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Myself I would look at separating and growing both while keeping in mind "binding the 2 together down the road... Just my penny :oops:

Grimmy
If I would have seen this sitting with a for sale sign-cheap, I would have giggled and moved on. The only appealing thing is its age and how its managed to hang on through some tough times. Kinda like bonsai yamadori. I don't want to be the one to kill it or its design!! I'm trying to think of maybe re-carving the rock to fit some smaller trees in.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Grimmy

I agree, wholeheartedly. Who cares about the original intent? They're long gone, and the immediate past owners obviously didn't care much either. But, cut apart now and then pushed together, this could make a nice twin trunk or mother-daughter tree, given a few years.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree, wholeheartedly. Who cares about the original intent? They're long gone, and the immediate past owners obviously didn't care much either. But, cut apart now and then pushed together, this could make a nice twin trunk or mother-daughter tree, given a few years.

I just wanted to point out that since 1968 come hell or high water these two made it and "that" is a story worth telling. I would feel I was offending that brutal history by replanting them with similar trees with no history. They are still there after all of that! Damn the original owners would be grinning :D! On a side note I feel at 60 I have the time to pull it off - Dave if you want you know how to contact me and we might work something out, and yes as usual I would need the History :p

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would feel I was offending that brutal history by replanting them with similar trees with no history. They are still there after all of that!

Grimmy
I take your point quite well. I'll let it grow for now. It'll give me time to ponder. I smell a special pot coming on.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well..... here we go. I just let it grow last season. Gave it a hedge clip in July. Got healthy, especially after a dose of Subdue to kill of a fungus it had as did all my maples.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 363

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fall came around and I kept pondering the design problem. I decided I needed to make a bold move. My study group liked the new angle, but hated the stone it was on. It has a straight top and uninteresting side with very little texture. It's lava rock, some call it feather stone. It's very soft and easy to carve.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 360

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is after making some choices with the branching, a little wire and chewing away some of the stone.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 349

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In the fall I wondered how to get it stay at that angle and still have something that fit the stone design. That's what winters are for.

Attachments

• IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 365

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me, the problem is that the two trees are too wide apart. It might sound anthropocentric, but they look as if they didn't want to have anything to do with each other - Oh no! Not in the same pot as that one, Lordy, Lord, no! ;)

OK, the sun's gone down and it's beer time, but seriously it's either you want a forest and if they're only two, hopefully we have a good chance they will reproduce.

Or if you think of a Father/Son, or Mother/Daughter, or Bro, Sis, etc., I prefer when my kin stays close and at the same time doesn't suffocate me, but we love each other ;)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I realise they're from the same root.

You can slice the horizontal root, then graft/fuse tha two parts, if you see what I mean:

IMG_2459.bb.jpg

Then you can match the two cuts, tie them with raffia that will rot away while sealing takes - and the cuts will probably produce new roots that will improve the nebari.

Then, in this pot and position or any other, I think the trees will look as if they get along much better ;)

IMG_2459.bc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom