Hand-me-down JM

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me it is. Usually get a weak second flush in a couple weeks, sometimes. Regular green maple seems to be more vigorous than the "exotics" I have.

Almost behave like they have been pinched. And won't grow anymore this season outside of the random shoot, here and there......

Interesting tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd say it is a bit unusual unless you have trimmed off very lightly. I do think your tree looks fine and I would not worry about it. Are you fertilizing?

As LanceMac mentioned, fancy varieties are not as responsive as standard green maples. Do you know if this is a cultivar?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd say it is a bit unusual unless you have trimmed off very lightly. I do think your tree looks fine and I would not worry about it. Are you fertilizing?

As LanceMac mentioned, fancy varieties are not as responsive as standard green maples. Do you know if this is a cultivar?
Once a week fertilizing...dyna-grow. Don't know the cultivar...leaves don't look like anything special. It did do a second flush the first few years of working on it , but the past two growing seasons.... nothing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Once a week fertilizing...dyna-grow. Don't know the cultivar...leaves don't look like anything special. It did do a second flush the first few years of working on it , but the past two growing seasons.... nothing.

I would not worry. Let it do its thing and I am sure it will go back to its "usual self". I believe that sometimes weather and other environmental factors affect trees in ways that we cannot control or even know.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fall color just keeps getting better. Couldn't resist taking a photo even though the trunks are dark and wet. They'll never dry out in the weather we're having.

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 193

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lava rock was a fad years ago for ROR. The piece they used was totally uninteresting. It is very soft...soft enough to carve with your fingernail. It's very porous and hold a lot of water, which allows it to grow algae quite easily. This make it almost unrecognizable as a rock. you can see this in earlier photos in this thread.
My solution is to coat it marine epoxy (Total Boat), which not only firms up the hardness of the rock but stops it from growing algae or moss. Once I had it coated the color was less than remarkable, so out comes the paint brush. I thought it would be nice to try and match the pot its in. It might be fun to do some faux suiseki.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 159

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is phenominal what you have been able to do with this composition!

Agreed! It’s awesome to see new life breathed into a historic tree that had seriously faded from its prime and in such a different styling. This composition is making a serious comeback.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fall color just keeps getting better. Couldn't resist taking a photo even though the trunks are dark and wet. They'll never dry out in the weather we're having.

Beautiful in the fall colors. Good job.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's odd that it's both years. My maple only flushed once so far this year though too. so far.. and my BC are just elongating for the second time too. Normally they give me three huge spurts. I think I'll be missing one this season.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Second year .....no second flush.

Well, this looks great now, much much better than I would have thought last year.

Soon time to repot, aye ? In that case, the trunks look a bit like ( ).

If the back side of the lower trunk allows, maybe replanting it the other way round would be better :

( (

See what I mean ?...

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Fertilizing w organic pellets helped me get more reliable second flushes of growth. Some light trimming in late June seems to stimulate this as well.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, this looks great now, much much better than I would have thought last year.

Soon time to repot, aye ? In that case, the trunks look a bit like ( ).

If the back side of the lower trunk allows, maybe replanting it the other way round would be better :

( (

See what I mean ?...
I’m not sure if you can see in the photo but it is one stone that both trees are growing on. Your idea would require me to cut through the stone. Can you explain the aesthetic concept of why this would be better? ( ) ) ). 😃

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fertilizing w organic pellets helped me get more reliable second flushes of growth. Some light trimming in late June seems to stimulate this as well.
This was bud-pinched in the spring and that was that. There really isn’t anything to thin. I’m gonna try less sun next year. More filtered light. That’s where it was when it was more vigorous. It’s in full sun now. Leaves look a little cooked.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The visible part of the trunks have opposite movements, that's what I meant. But if they're on a stone (should have read the beginning of the thread more carefully), then they're all right the way they are ;)

Top Bottom