Hans Van Meer

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Award winning artist and Gingko demonstrator Hans Van Meer will be hosted by Shady Side Bonsai for a two day workshop May 10 and 11 2008. For more information please go here

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are indeed fortunate to have Hans visit your area. Hans' contributions to the bonsai community via the Internet have been of great benefit to me personally. How much more you will benefit in a face-to-face (or tree-to-tree) presentation. Wishing you the best.

PS The price for a two day seminar is a real bargain! (Unsolicited plug). Now if I could only afford the air-fare.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is great news Tom...but who is that big, beefy, hairy, football player in the picture? Certainly that can not be our mild mannered, kind, and polite Hans? ;)

Will

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How far is Glen rock from Boston? Just wondering...:confused: :D

Dave

PS that looks like an awsome workshop

Hi Dave,

I travel back and forth to Boston quite frequently to study with Colin or attend his workshops. By car it runs me about 7 hours as long as I avoid the GW bridge in NY. If I am not hauling trees I fly. Costs 99 bucks round trip in Providence on South West...sometimes cheaper when there running a special. Travel time by plane door to door is about 4.5 hours which includes the drive from Providence to Littleton.

Just some useful stats in case you were actually considering it.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How much more you will benefit in a face-to-face (or tree-to-tree) presentation. Wishing you the best.

PS The price for a two day seminar is a real bargain! (Unsolicited plug). Now if I could only afford the air-fare.

I am truly looking forward to this Barry. In fact the people that have already signed up are extremely excited that they can work with Hans in a unrushed two day event.

As far as pricing goes? I try my very best to offer educational opportunities as close to cost as I can. If I have done a good job at the venue, then the participants have always rewarded me with business which seems fair in my book :)

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
but who is that big, beefy, hairy, football player in the picture?

LOL....I thought Hans cleaned up rather well after all that work on the Yew! :D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the travel info, Tom. I live 25 minutes north of TF Green...love flying Southwest. However, if I were to attend (not looking good right now as work really takes off for me in May), I'd like to bring some of my own trees, so...I guess I'll take the Tapen Zee:) :) .

Either way, I'll get down your way sometime. Thanks again,

Dave

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hans better not forget to come to australia, we are going to get him pissed on real beer....

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For those that missed Day #1 with Hans at Shady Side ...... we wish you were here! Everyone is in the groove now and Day #2 will prove to be better. More pics later

Attachments

• jsw_p1070230.jpg
    jsw_p1070230.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 69
  • jsw_p1070208.jpg
    jsw_p1070208.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • jsw_p1070174.jpg
    jsw_p1070174.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 68
  • jsw_p1070191.jpg
    jsw_p1070191.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 53
  • jsw_p1070241.jpg
    jsw_p1070241.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 60

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am surprised! Hans looks like the kinda guy that would put beer on his Cherrios!!:D

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well Day 2 of the Han's workshop has just ended. It was a long day the first person started to work at 6 AM Sunday and the last person dropped out at 2:00 AM on Monday. Hans is an unrelenting bonsai warrior and addressed each tree and person as if it was his first an amazing guy.

I have posted a couple of trees that were worked on today and once my eyes uncross and I can pull my head up outta my bowl of Cheerios, I will post some more. The sumo yew in the first picture is after its initial styling, in my opinion as well has Han's, will be a world class contender in a few short years.

Attachments

• jsw_p1070315.jpg
    jsw_p1070315.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 46
  • jsw_p1070314.jpg
    jsw_p1070314.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 47
  • jsw_p1070300.jpg
    jsw_p1070300.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 43
  • jsw_p1070212.jpg
    jsw_p1070212.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37
  • jsw_p1070199.jpg
    jsw_p1070199.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 39

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
I Am Home !!!

Hi everybody,
I am home, very tired, Bud also very happy! I had a great time America and I want to share some photographs with you on my blog! I will post many more to getter with their story's after I slept a day or 2!!!:D Here is already one of 2 happy campers after a lot of hard work!!!;)
I am of to bed now!!
Hans van Meer.

Attachments

• usa 2008 503 hans van meer web.jpg
    usa 2008 503 hans van meer web.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Glad to know you got back safe Hans. Don't set the alarm you deserve the rest.

While Hans is compiling photos and story on his blog you can go here to see the Shady Side workshop album.

Last edited:

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You guys had beer at yours, we didn't get beer!! Jason hey whats the deal? :)
Hans is great to work with, I really enjoyed his visit here to Oregon.

Not just any beer either, the good stuff hand delivered by yours truly.

This was a great weekend, marathon sessions of bonsai along with a bunch of great people and good food. Boy was I tired when I got home, just about recovered now though.

Looking forward to the next one. Tom/Hans?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking forward to the next one. Tom/Hans?

Yep, its coming! This workshop was very successful and so much fun that we both agreed that we need to do it on a regular basis. So we are working on the next date.

Also we are working so that Hans will have a US collection here...which virtual guarantees that Hans will be back for more bonsai marathons, beer, food and fun.

Dstar

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Needless to say, as one of the happy campers in the photo with the yew, I am looking forward to continue the good friendship, marathon sessions and great learning that came with working with Hans. That yew is resting comfortably with tender loving care. I am inspecting daily.
Hmm, maybe I need to go collect others just like it to entice Hans to return? :D

Hans?

Dstar

Top Bottom