Happiness is wiring a pine

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Happiness is NOT ......removing wire........ like yesterday! :mad:
But...today...all fresh and frisky...I can REwire it. :)

No LITTLE wire neither! 🤪

I like how it's easier once there's some "set."

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like a very nice tree. Any better pics? :)
I think more than the phone it's the crappy lighting

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like a very nice tree. Any better pics? :)
I think more than the phone it's the crappy lighting
A couple. Old ones. One a while back while smaller and in the pot I dropped and broke.
Well... I fell down. The pot broke. :(
Scotty & Rocky.jpg

Then a kinda bad pic from this year's slip pot out of the Anderson flat.

scots repot.jpg

That was with the old wire.

And no candles yet.
Now they're extending... .a LOT :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's only 1 or 2 pieces of wire on the whole tree. How happy can you get just doing 2 wires?
Or maybe you are so happy BECAUSE there's only a couple of branches that need wiring.
Some of mine take days to fully wire out :(

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mike, this is really the wrong season to be wiring that pine. The candles are in the process of extending. They’re rather fragile at this stage. A better time would be to wait until you decandle it, and wire immediately after decandling. Or, the next best time is late fall after the summer shoots have hardened off.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mike, this is really the wrong season to be wiring that pine. The candles are in the process of extending. They’re rather fragile at this stage. A better time would be to wait until you decandle it, and wire immediately after decandling. Or, the next best time is late fall after the summer shoots have hardened off.
This is a Scots and it got set back last year when "someone" decandled. :mad:

I really really WISH I had taken a pic of the plucked chicken. (actually they didn't "decandle" but REMOVED buds)

This year it's getting to go wild. ....sorta.... ;)
The only candles I am ..shortening...not decandling...are getting TWISTED off at proper heights for their placement in the foliage.
This "wiring" was only setting some horizontal movement into some that were headed down.
No injury to candles.
I don't have the nerve or talent of @Shibui to be FULLY wiring it. :oops:
I don't have any plans to "show" anyhow.
But you're right. If it was an extensive wiring I wouldn't do it now.
Thanks for the info though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...

JBP is better suited for your climate.

But, ok... hold off on further wiring until it’s hardened off.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay.....here's the pix of the "after."

AFTER 2020 WIRE.JPG

However I ...forgot... to put the beeeyyooooteeful rock in for the pic.

Here's some candles.

CANDLLES 2020.JPG

Note the PROLIFIC wiring in the top pic.
I worked an endless 30 minutes on the rewire. Probly used a full FOOT or more of it. ;)

At least the droopy branches are horizontal. And a few moved to unshade some lower ones.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay.....here's the pix of the "after."

View attachment 290740

However I ...forgot... to put the beeeyyooooteeful rock in for the pic.

Here's some candles.

View attachment 290741

Note the PROLIFIC wiring in the top pic.
I worked an endless 30 minutes on the rewire. Probly used a full FOOT or more of it. ;)

At least the droopy branches are horizontal. And a few moved to unshade some lower ones.
Tree is dead.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am familiar with the heat there. The tree has been living there for several years. But this year, it got wired while the shots were still young, and forming. Which stressed them. Which made the tree weaker. And unable to withstand the heat.

There is a REASON I said that he shouldn’t have wired the pine back in the spring! Look back at the thread. I said he shouldn’t have wired it then.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M Please dont talk to me like Im an idiot.
I did read the thread and I also read the 2 other threads about this tree and its problems this year.

I dont dispute the reasons why you said wiring in March when its pushing candles is bad. I know that its too easy to knock off candles then, I also know that bending branches around at the wrong time of year can cause them to slip thier bark and kill them. I agree the tree should not have been wired in March when its candles were extending.

However I am going to play devils advocate:
From the looks of it, he wired 4-5 branches in March and he used aluminum wire, the size of which isnt adequate to bend those branches at all.
The tree didnt start to show any decline until August, 5 months later and it wasnt just the branches that were wired. There was a picture taken some time after the wiring but before August and the tree looked fine. Candles continuing to extend.
The wiring may not have helped but the fact that the entire tree started to go down hill and not just the wired branches.
This leads me to believe that the unusually high, prolonged heat there this summer was the coup de gras for this tree.

If it was just the branches that were wired that died, Id agree with you that it was 100% the wiring.

Either way, its a shame. It was an interesting tree.

Top Bottom