Happy buds!

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
image.jpeg image.jpeg No, not that kind. I live in a 'dry' state still. I'm talking about sprouts on my first air layer attempt. I decided to try it on an apple tree from my back yard. I girdled a select branch in the spring but by late summer it had only produced a bunch of root nodes, no actual roots. However the leaves and next year's buds were supple. After about a month with root hormone and in a protected warm spot, still no roots. I figured, what the heck, and instead of tossing it out I'd put it under the lights with the non cold hardy trees. The perlite in the old pot was stinky and green. I rinsed the root nubs and put it in a new plastic pot with sphagnum, wet the moss, and covered the pot with plastic wrap.

After about 2 weeks inside, I'm getting fresh healthy shoots popping in several spots!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And those shoots likely will soon stop extending, then they will droop, then wither. Then your explant will officially be dead.

Your only hope is a humidity tent that will maintain a rH close to 100% around the foliage on those new shoots. The covering over the pot doesn't do much other than save you from the inconvenience of having to water the rooting medium.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And those shoots likely will soon stop extending, then they will droop, then wither. Then your explant will officially be dead.

Your only hope is a humidity tent that will maintain a rH close to 100% around the foliage on those new shoots. The covering over the pot doesn't do much other than save you from the inconvenience of having to water the rooting medium.
That is what I experienced also. The branch grew buds with/from energy stored in the branch. Ended up that there were no real roots. I didn't have an idea for a solution though. Apple branches seem to store a lot of energy. .....Maybe your branch will be an exception....and continue growing. I hope so.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Think most of us have been there. See new growth, get all excited then the hammer falls. The ups and downs of bonsai. Merry Christmas

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is about water and in this case, water stored in the xylem (wood) of your cutting.

The leaves are largely already formed in the bud. The leaves emerge because water is drawn into the vacuoles of these cells by osmosis. There isn't a lot of energy expended in the process. Once the leaf is somewhat unfolded (inflated), water is lost through the leaf's stomata (if the rH<100%). Since there are no roots to replace the lost water, the emergence process slows and the new stems loose turgidity (sag), then desiccate (dry). Now there is no auxin signal in the cambium = no stimulus to grow roots, only a signal to contain the damage by walling off the xylem, and cellular mass suicide ensues.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What a bummer brigade. Thanks for the input. I will try a tent but am resigned to watch my trig wither and die. BAH HUMBUG!!
:)

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Any idea how long the death might take? I tented right after posting - it's been almost a month and not only is there no turgidity or dessication yet. In fact, there has been an explosion of more growth.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any idea how long the death might take? I tented right after posting - it's been almost a month and not only is there no turgidity or dessication yet. In fact, there has been an explosion of more growth.
It varies a lot by species and environmental factors, principally relative humidity. Species with very narrow xylem lumens, such as pines, can last for months; shorter times go with larger xylem lumen species (fast growing angiosperms, in general).

The point I was making, however, was that you should tent it to prevent this (almost) inevitable end. You did, congratulations for your results.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any idea how long the death might take?

You did as @0soyoung said and it worked, now as soon as weather permits outside it goes. I posted elsewhere some time ago using a plastic bottle top as a collar (tent) on crabapples and the technique is NOT perfect but here works at least 75 percent of the time. Good to see yours is ok ;)

Grimmy

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You did as @0soyoung said and it worked, now as soon as weather permits outside it goes. I posted elsewhere some time ago using a plastic bottle top as a collar (tent) on crabapples and the technique is NOT perfect but here works at least 75 percent of the time. Good to see yours is ok ;)

Grimmy
I'm not prepared to get too cocky about it but it is encouraging.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not prepared to get too cocky about it but it is encouraging.

When the roots are nubs and are kept warm and damp not wet the roots tend to take off and support foliage. Just what I see here and it does not work with all but many plant types. I am pretty certain yours is ok - any chance of a photo? By the way I only ever have any success with this method if I NEVER disturb the newly growing root system. Hell, I just rotate them gently under lights as not to mess them up :oops: Once growing outside for a Summer of course the game goes back to normal.

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jaberwky17,
It is called callous in your case. It also happened in the ume cutting and flowering quince air layering.
At this time, I believe your plant will survive, but it is needed to stay in good humidity environment a little longer until all the shoots elongate. If I was you, I might have placed it in the clear plastic pot, so I could observe it rootage. Good luck.
Bonhe

Top Bottom