LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you know the name of this cultivar?
Beautiful flowers!
View attachment 346185

This is definitely a Yabai, and to be more specific possibly a Naniwasho, but to be sure of this you should check the lenght of the flowers' stem which is hard to see from these pics.

Beautiful double flowers, also just before new year's eve! I think I'll have to wait at least couple of weeks more for my Ume to pop!

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is definitely a Yabai, and to be more specific possibly a Naniwasho, but to be sure of this you should check the lenght of the flowers' stem which is hard to see from these pics.

Beautiful double flowers, also just before new year's eve! I think I'll have to wait at least couple of weeks more for my Ume to pop!
...no double flower...single flower...here's the back and stem of two different tree

20210103_142254.jpg20210103_142017.jpg

Last edited:

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...no double flower...single flower...here's the back and stem of two different tree

View attachment 347614View attachment 347615

The number of petals indicates they're double flowers, I'd say. Single flowers' Umes appears something like this:

umesingl.jpg

I confirm that this could be a Yabai Naniwasho, as the stems look a bit elongated. Other cultivars usually have the flowers closer, and sometimes even touching, the branch.

But of course, there are hundreds of Ume cultivars, therefore my ID could not be 100% accurate!

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The number of petals indicates they're double flowers, I'd say. Single flowers' Umes appears something like this:

View attachment 347633

I confirm that this could be a Yabai Naniwasho, as the stems look a bit elongated. Other cultivars usually have the flowers closer, and sometimes even touching, the branch.

But of course, there are hundreds of Ume cultivars, therefore my ID could not be 100% accurate!
I have four different books (Japanese, Traditional Chinese (printed in Taiwan), simplified Chinese (printed in Shanghai) and korean). ...reading them...figuring out their ID.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 347633

Screenshot_20210104-074841_WeChat.jpgScreenshot_20210104-074728_WeChat.jpg

xander7

Seed
Reaction score
Aww, oh well. Thanks for the reply though.

We had an unfortunate accident during some landscape work a few weeks ago and my mother-in-law's prunus mume was cut down to a stump. From what my SO recalls it had flowers similar to these. Through these forums and some other resources I've taken a crash course in grafting and rooting cuttings. I've attempted some grafts to the stump with cuttings taken from branches that were cut off from the stump and also attempted to root some cuttings based off a few threads on the topic here. I'm not expecting success but at least I'll have tried.

Top Bottom