Happy Thanksgiving Bnutters

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For those of us that are celebrating Turkey Day, have a happy, safe holiday.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
hopefully we all have something to be thankful for, this chatline as a primary reason for one.
I'm de-thawing our bird right now and will be thankful when it does. Weather is suppose to be windy tomorrow with gusts up to 50 mph. Hopefully the bird gets done while the electricity stays on.
Been wanting a bristlecone for awhile and found a club member who could spare one of his three. Looking to get david de Groot to help me with it's design..:) I'd be thankful for that!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you...and you all a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

A lot of tragedy in our small community within the last week.I pause...to give thanks for all I do have. You tend to hug a little tighter...and a bit longer. Give those you are blessed to have near an extra long hug.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I find a lot in common with our thanksgiving and Japan's tea ceremony....

Tho they beat us by installing theirs in the 16th century, It's function was to present a sincere and heartfelt hospitality to one and all. Irregardless of the individual's status or rank. I picture some of the early paintings depicting our first thanksgiving with indian and settler around the table. Interesting to me that time and culture can appreciate the necessity of being grateful for each other....and the contributions we all make to each others quality of life

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy Thanksgiving to all you gus/gals ! I have much to be thankful for, including just leaving the Urology center this morning with my kidney stone removed, not too happy about the damned stint they put in and all that's associated with that mess though. But thank God I am alive and that was all it was.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going as a Native!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never really thought about it; is Thanksgiving celebrated or condemned by Native Americans?

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy Thanksgiving to all and thanks for the posts, advice and general Bonsai conversation.
Tona (Steve)

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
May you and your families have a safe holiday.
Joedes3

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did I put that hatchet?

Love, peace and taco grease

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I give thanks to the Natives.

And remember who the real savages are.

Did you know....the Natives have legends of constellations that predate man's ability to see them?

Knowledge of the "star people".

The missing link from ape to man...alien genes.

Ever notice white people resemble chimps? (Documented savagery)
Africans gorillas.
Asians orangutans.
And all sex addicts come from Bonobo monkey's.!

How's that for evolution?
Gobble Gobble.
Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I give thanks to the Natives.

And remember who the real savages are.

Did you know....the Natives have legends of constellations that predate man's ability to see them?

Knowledge of the "star people".

The missing link from ape to man...alien genes.

Ever notice white people resemble chimps? (Documented savagery)
Africans gorillas.
Asians orangutans.
And all sex addicts come from Bonobo monkey's.!

How's that for evolution?
Gobble Gobble.
Sorce

Umm... YIKES! I ain't touching this one.. ANY OF IT.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I never really thought about it; is Thanksgiving celebrated or condemned by Native Americans?

It is a uniquely US tradition, but it pre-dates the foundation of the country. It represents many things to many peoples - from peace and friendship, to religious thanks, to wise stewardship of the land. My wife is Blackfoot but she views herself as just one more member of the big "melting pot" that is the US. She views the holiday positively because there really isn't any negative angle to it. Native Americans were involved and it was a positive experience.

A short reading that I use each year of the most detailed description of the "First Thanksgiving" (Edward Winslow, A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, 1621):

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another fun "original Thanksgiving FAQ" that I keep around:

Foods That May Have Been on the Menu

Seafood: Cod, Eel, Clams, Lobster
Wild Fowl: Wild Turkey, Goose, Duck, Crane, Swan, Partridge, Eagles
Meat: Venison, Seal
Grain: Wheat Flour, Indian Corn
Vegetables: Pumpkin, Peas, Beans, Onions, Lettuce, Radishes, Carrots
Fruit: Plums, Grapes
Nuts: Walnuts, Chestnuts, Acorns
Herbs and Seasonings: Olive Oil, Liverwort, Leeks, Dried Currants, Parsnips

What Was Not on the Menu

Surprisingly, the following foods, all considered staples of the modern Thanksgiving meal, didn't appear on the pilgrims's first feast table:

Ham: There is no evidence that the colonists had butchered a pig by this time, though they had brought pigs with them from England.
Sweet Potatoes/Potatoes: These were not common.
Corn on the Cob: Corn was kept dried out at this time of year.
Cranberry Sauce: The colonists had cranberries but no sugar at this time.
Pumpkin Pie: It's not a recipe that exists at this point, though the pilgrims had recipes for stewed pumpkin.
Chicken/Eggs: We know that the colonists brought hens with them from England, but it's unknown how many they had left at this point or whether the hens were still laying.
Milk: No cows had been aboard the Mayflower, though it's possible that the colonists used goat milk to make cheese.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In Chile we used to have a holiday celebrating the overthrowing of a communist president called Salvador Allende by Augusto Pinochet on september/11/1973... It was a very conflictive date including riots and all that stuff. Half the country celebrated, half the country condemned it. It really seems like it must be weird for native people getting shoved in their faces celebrating something that means the opposite of celebrating.

Well happy thanksgiving day for the people who do celebrate it, and happy day off work with the family for the people that don't like the thanksgiving concept.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is a uniquely US tradition, but it pre-dates the foundation of the country. It represents many things to many peoples - from peace and friendship, to religious thanks, to wise stewardship of the land. My wife is Blackfoot but she views herself as just one more member of the big "melting pot" that is the US. She views the holiday positively because there really isn't any negative angle to it. Native Americans were involved and it was a positive experience.

A short reading that I use each year of the most detailed description of the "First Thanksgiving" (Edward Winslow, A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, 1621):

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

Thanks for sharing your wife's views and this passage as well. That is uplifting to hear! For my friend's views did shadow over my holiday since I met her. Very uplifting...Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom