Happy Thanksgiving Bnutters

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It is a uniquely US tradition, but it pre-dates the foundation of the country. It represents many things to many peoples - from peace and friendship, to religious thanks, to wise stewardship of the land. My wife is Blackfoot but she views herself as just one more member of the big "melting pot" that is the US. She views the holiday positively because there really isn't any negative angle to it. Native Americans were involved and it was a positive experience.

A short reading that I use each year of the most detailed description of the "First Thanksgiving" (Edward Winslow, A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, 1621):

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

Nice share.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well happy thanksgiving day for the people who do celebrate it, and happy day off work with the family for the people that don't like the thanksgiving concept.

I will just say this... I think people have a general misconception that native Americans were one big friendly, happy group of people. They weren't. They were extremely warlike - with each other - long before the arrival of Europeans. In fact, Europeans were originally used as pawns in the power struggles between hostile tribes, or as buffers and allowed to "settle" in abandoned areas where it was considered "too dangerous" to live. In many cases Europeans came on "empty lands" without the understanding that they were empty because the native peoples had been killed or fled as a direct result of war. The Erie? The Huron? The Shawnee? The Susquehannock? All destroyed by the Iroquois while the Europeans huddled on the Eastern seaboard. Ohio and Michigan were virtually emptied of all native peoples during the Beaver Wars in the late 1600's. Kentucky was discovered as an "empty land" because hostile tribes in the north and south had agreed to keep it as a buffer zone / unsettled hunting ground to avoid war. The Apache were busy raiding and killing Spanish/Mexicans for decades, until they themselves were driven out by the Commanches. The Sioux and the even more notorious Blackfeet were dominant in the northern plains and were constantly warring on their neighbors.

I am not trying to defend history, just understand it. It certainly all happened WAY before my time. The entire history of this world is a history of conqueror and conquered. If you blame the Spanish, consider the Muslim conquest of Spain. If you blame the British, consider the Norman conquest of Britain. The Greeks... the Romans... all were conquerors who in turn were conquered.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Regardless of its origins in America, any day (or even any time) set aside to count our blessings and give Thanks...be it to our Creator or to our friends, family and those around us is a good thing.

Among the Thanks that I am Giving this year are for all of those Bonsai enthusiasts that have provided me guidance, direction, insights and inspiration throughout this past year.

THANK YOU ALL!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
It is the best holiday of the year. Enjoy it!
Work on some bonsai. Have a good meal. And watch plenty of football.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
It is a uniquely US tradition, but it pre-dates the foundation of the country. It represents many things to many peoples - from peace and friendship, to religious thanks, to wise stewardship of the land. My wife is Blackfoot but she views herself as just one more member of the big "melting pot" that is the US. She views the holiday positively because there really isn't any negative angle to it. Native Americans were involved and it was a positive experience.

A short reading that I use each year of the most detailed description of the "First Thanksgiving" (Edward Winslow, A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, 1621):

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

Your wife is Blackfoot?! I've never met a Blackfoot banker before! :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! I am thankful for so many things in this life. I am also thankful to be a part of this fascinating art we call bonsai and its community.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first Thanksgiving may not have been the nicest of events, but come on people, let's be thankful for what we have and try to move on.

I firmly believe that we live in the greatest country in the world and I am very thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving and may God Bless you and your families.

Joedes3

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The first Thanksgiving may not have been the nicest of events

It WAS the nicest of events - according to the people who were there. Don't listen to revisionists who are trying to reshape the event to further their own social agenda.

By the way... 7 years from today will be Thanksgiving's 400 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's be Thankful for the day; for family; friends; football and BNUT!!!!
Joedes3

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
You just haven't seen her when she's mad. Then you'd understand.

Did you see the photo of her in our dining room? The one of her as a kid?

That's a really cute picture of Alison. But look at those eyes! She looked like she knew her purpose in life already! I can only imagine when she's mad, she'd probably let your back side have a taste of her blackfoot. No wonder you've become such a chicken sh-t ;)

Have a good turkey!

Top Bottom