"Hard" Akadama?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
All I can find is 'hard fired' akadama...but which is easily crushed. Anyone know where to get TRUE hard akadama?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've read hard (high fired) akadama defeats the purpose and would be no better than Turface. Whether that is true or not I am not sure. Just thought I would share since it kinda makes sense.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just sifted 2 bags of "high fired" akadama 3 days ago, and have Turface on hand too. I tried to crush each with fingers, and the Turface was noticably harder. I dont think the same firing is used for each. Bags are gone and I cant compare specs IF they were there to begin with.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
All akadama is easily pulverized when you roll it between your fingers. That's why it's important not to over-handle akadama when it's in the pot.

Not all. Ryan Neil had some that he found in Japan, I tried, it was near impossible to finger crush. Maybe it's not available in the US, I guess I'll have to ask. But I think I remember him saying Clay King uses hard akadama, so I'll check into this.

Thanks all.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I've read hard (high fired) akadama defeats the purpose and would be no better than Turface. Whether that is true or not I am not sure. Just thought I would share since it kinda makes sense.

Ive also heard it was referred to as high fired to satisfy the AG folks as it would burn off anything potentially hazardous that could get "free ride" in the akadama. But if you have ever noticed sometimes you find plant or root remains or straw, etc that would have burned off it were high fired. If it were truly high fired it would lose its CEC benefits.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not derail this thread, but have a look at this link. Apparently akadama is not just for bonsai growers, but also aquariums.

I have this brand of akadama. I crumbles very easily when squeezed. With that said, can I re-fire this stuff on my own, or is that just a waste of time?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well at least one guy on that forum understands that akadama is organic, which I have been saying for decades.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well at least one guy on that forum understands that akadama is organic, which I have been saying for decades.

REALLY??? Please explain and educate us. :rolleyes:

As far as I know and believe...Akadama is inorganic. Please prove me wrong.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not derail this thread, but have a look at this link. Apparently akadama is not just for bonsai growers, but also aquariums.

I have this brand of akadama. I crumbles very easily when squeezed. With that said, can I re-fire this stuff on my own, or is that just a waste of time?

That's the same brand I have. It's supposedly fired to 300ºC, if I recall correctly. Yet I was still able to find the occasional decomposed root in it and easily crush it between my fingers. Reheating it would be an interesting experiment, but I'm not sure I would bother to be honest.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I don't want to stir up this whole akadama debate please. I simply wanted to know if what I was looking for was available. And I appreciate everyone's response.

Thanks

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
REALLY??? Please explain and educate us. :rolleyes:

As far as I know and believe...Akadama is inorganic. Please prove me wrong.

Do you use the dirt dug from your back yard for planting your bonsai? If you don't why not?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Guess it depends what your definition of organic is. Organic means it came from a once living thing "plants included." Akadama is essentially a clay and mineral mix. Clay is partially made of of long since decomposed wood and plant matter. The majority of clay is from decomposed geologic material, the majority of which is usually rocks, trees, and so on. So yes it's organic, and yes it's not organic. :)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
I 'm using a baked clay product called hydrocorn. this is very hard material, does not breakdown, no fines, water retentive, pebble shape enhances oxygen flow and root growth, neutral PH, etc. found at hydroponic supply stores.

best wishes, sam

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so I'm just going to put this out there.
In the UK people use Cat Litter from Tescos supermarket! They use Tescos own brand that does not clump together when it gets wet!
The granuels are fired clay and are rock hard (no way you can crush them with your fingers) but still retain good moisture.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you use the dirt dug from your back yard for planting your bonsai? If you don't why not?

Totally not an answer (or the answer of someone who cannot defend his argument). LOL

==================
Read these...and tell me you still believe what you claim. ;)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1747-0765.2006.032_6.x/abstract

The purpose of this study is to investigate utilization of Akadama soil and evaluate its ion removal efficiency for seawater desalination. The chemical composition of the Akadama soil was Al203 0.334 kg kg−1, SiO2 0.470 kg kg−1, Fe203 0.157 kg kg−1 by weight. X-ray powder diffraction pattern, electron diffraction pattern and IR spectrum of Akadama soil showed that allophane was the main phase and low crystallinity kaolin was generated from the allophane.

https://www.tulips.tsukuba.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/2241/105075/1/ASS_256-9_Fig&Tab.pdf
attachment.php

Attachments

• Akadama.jpg
    Akadama.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 193

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Terminology can be such a bitch. From a chemical point of view, an organic substance must have a carbon compound associated with it. Therefore, akadama can't be considered organic. Of course, being organic or inorganic has no bearing on whether something is good or bad for plants (or us). Some of the nastiest compounds around are "organic".

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Totally not an answer (or the answer of someone who cannot defend his argument). LOL

==================
Read these...and tell me you still believe what you claim. ;)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1747-0765.2006.032_6.x/abstract

The purpose of this study is to investigate utilization of Akadama soil and evaluate its ion removal efficiency for seawater desalination. The chemical composition of the Akadama soil was Al203 0.334 kg kg−1, SiO2 0.470 kg kg−1, Fe203 0.157 kg kg−1 by weight. X-ray powder diffraction pattern, electron diffraction pattern and IR spectrum of Akadama soil showed that allophane was the main phase and low crystallinity kaolin was generated from the allophane.

https://www.tulips.tsukuba.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/2241/105075/1/ASS_256-9_Fig&Tab.pdf
attachment.php

You didn't answer the questions. You can't get the answer without first understanding what we are talking about. You chemical analysis means nothing without first understanding what akadama is. You could come up with those kinds of breakdowns for many "organic" things in nature. What it is made of chemically is not the whole answer. Keep digging sooner or later you will stumble onto it. Or just answer my questions and get the whole story.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You didn't answer the questions. You can't get the answer without first understanding what we are talking about. You chemical analysis means nothing without first understanding what akadama is. You could come up with those kinds of breakdowns for many "organic" things in nature. What it is made of chemically is not the whole answer. Keep digging sooner or later you will stumble onto it. Or just answer my questions and get the whole story.

LOL...yeah right. :rolleyes:

I'll move on...you are always right and no one else is. Good luck with that!

Top Bottom