hard, box store life, Japanese bloodgood.

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20221002_153517.jpg20221002_153909.jpg20221002_153913.jpg20221002_153508.jpgI picked up this poor fellow at Home depot for 10 dollars. He was sitting next to three already gone trees.He is beat up, loosing bark, huge die off, super soaked feet and had 4 inches of his trunk buried. What can i do to give him the best chance at survival? Is there anything i can give him this time of year as far as nutrients to help him before winter, in Ohio. were into autumn and are starting to see some colors on the native trees already. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I believe these to be hardy enough in your location. I’d put it in the ground with heavy mulch and wind protection.
Don’t mess with the root ball for now, just plop it in the hole and water conservatively till winter.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's already going dormant, so not much to be done nutrient wise. You might try a rooting based fert with phosphorus, but I wouldn't expect to much from it. Definitely go easy on the water.

Whereabouts in Ohio? I lived near Dayton for many years as a kid. If you don't want to put it in the ground, you shouldn't have to worry about winter weather too much as long as it's under overhead cover during those ice storms.

Reactions: BK6

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im in Gallia county, Rio Grande. i was hoping it didnt have to go into the ground, so thats good news. i have a good porch that would work for cover. A barn, and a block outbuilding.
It's already going dormant, so not much to be done nutrient wise. You might try a rooting based fert with phosphorus, but I wouldn't expect to much from it. Definitely go easy on the water.

Whereabouts in Ohio? I lived near Dayton for many years as a kid. If you don't want to put it in the ground, you shouldn't have to worry about winter weather too much as long as it's under overhead cover during those ice storms.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im in Gallia county, Rio Grande. i was hoping it didnt have to go into the ground, so thats good news. i have a good porch that would work for cover. A barn, and a block outbuilding.
If it's sick already, you still might baby it through winter. Trees are meant to be in the ground, so that is safest, but as long as the root ball doesn't freeze solid you should be ok.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before putting pot in ground make sure rocks/drainage under pot so no more wet feet. Can't say if tree kept too wet, just recently watered or simply neglected🤔? Suggest late Winter repot into good draining substrate AFTER danger of freeze is past. Make sure tree kept damp, never dry and should recover. Also does not look like Bloodgood to me🤔.

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before putting pot in ground make sure rocks/drainage under pot so no more wet feet. Can't say if tree kept too wet, just recently watered or simply neglected🤔? Suggest late Winter repot into good draining substrate AFTER danger of freeze is past. Make sure tree kept damp, never dry and should recover. Also does not look like Bloodgood to me🤔.
i was wondering that too. had a big sticker on the side that said bloodgood but idk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If its from a big box store its probably grafted, in that case if the scion material died off you might've just been left with generic Japanese Maple rootstock that grew its own foliage.

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If its from a big box store its probably grafted, in that case if the scion material died off you might've just been left with generic Japanese Maple rootstock that grew its own foliage.
my thoughts exactly. ive seen this before on youtube

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but im sure its been in direct sun too all summer. only time will tell i suppose. either way im happy for the price

Top Bottom