Hard freeze in Southern Cal

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got down to 29 in Orange County last night. Came out in the morning and my bonsai were covered in ice (autosprinkler goes on at 7AM and coated everything). First time in 12 years here that I have seen ice anywhere around my property. Not too worried about the health of the trees - the ice had melted by about 11:00 AM and none of my soil had frozen below the surface - but still; ice in Orange County. I'll bet my peaches and nectarines are gonna be tasty this year :) I had my kids outside because the only time they see ice is at the skating rink or when we drive up to the mountains.

bonsaibaka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We're about to go through the same thing here in central Texas. Tonight's forcast is into the high 20s and it's supposed to stay that way for the next 2-3 days. PLUS, 100% chance of precipitation the whole time! This happens maybe once in 3 or 5 years here. 1/2" of ice on everything. Last Wednesday it was in the 70s! The saying here is, "If you don't like the weather, wait for about an hour". That's the danger here, not enough continuous cold weather to keep everything dormant for long enough.

I just dumped 3 bags of pine bark mulch around my less hardy trees, which I have placed up against the north fence. At least we got some warning though!

Stay warm and watch your step on the ice...:D

Mike

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i had very bad frost damage last night especially on some of my jades and i do not think my aquatic plants will survive being encased in ice like this

Last edited:

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
The lowest temp in Central England has been 4 degrees centigrade this year but we have had a lot more rain
My bigest problem is the West wind its been very strong 80 miles per hour some days I have moved all my trees to the shelter of my Garage wall

Top Bottom